Home » Bands, Darius, Music, Music Interviews, Otep

Interview with Otep Shamaya of OTEP

10 April 2013 10 Comments

images-2

by: Darius

We were pleased to be joined by one of the most recognizable and outspoken women in heavy metal history, Ms. Otep Shamaya of her band Otep.

Otep has had a long career with six studio records spanning nearly 15 years. They played Ozzfest in 2001 without a record deal, based purely on Sharon Osbourne’s high regard for them after one show. I was sold on Otep from the very first time I heard “Possession” that summer. At the time, they only had 4-5 professionally recorded songs, yet there they were on the biggest summer tour, playing in front of thousands of people!

images

I don’t care what anyone says… the 1999 – 2004 time of music was magical. You could turn on terrestrial radio and actually hear bands like Taproot, Sevendust, Static-X and Otep being played on regular rotation. Unfortunately, that time is over and so are the careers of the vast majority of those bands. Do you remember Union Underground? Reach 454? Puya? FLAW, Darwin’s Waiting Room and Sw1tched?

Well it’s 2013 and you’re lucky if you find any of those band’s records anywhere other than Amazon Used. However, Otep is one of the survivors and she has continued to put out records and tour and inspire and also get people talking about numerous issues important to her.

Politics, religion, animal rights, child abuse, warfare and government corruption are common themes in Otep’s lyrics. The live show is something to see as well and I encourage everyone to check them out on their current tour.

Otep has a new record out on Victory Records titled Hydra. As of now, it will be the final Otep release.

otep_AD-full

Check Otep’s facebook page for tour dates.

Otep is absolutely fearless and unafraid to share and defend her views. This isn’t your typical All Knowing Force spot and we’re thrilled to share it with you.

Hydra is available online and in stores where you can still find music.

You can download or stream the audio here. If you’d like to download, right click and Save As.

Follow All Knowing Force

images-3

QuickBooks Online

Get a $5.00 Music Credit at eMusic.com!

• THE FACULTY said:

Misunderstood. Respect her heart and drive.

She needs to hang it up tho. It’s time.

• control machine said:

Not impressed at all by Otep. Never have been and doubt I will be ever. This was an awkward interview (no fault of the guys). She needs some counseling. Psychotic rambling.

Where’s a sevendust album review? :)

• big haas said:

That last question made her super uncomfortable. Kudos for not playing the game and asking something most people are afraid to ask. I do thing she’s put out some good stuff over the year but the band member changes have caused or aided the inconsistency.

I listen and read all her media stuff because it’s just so monotone and out there nuts.

I like Hydra. You all should take a listen and it’s her besdt in a while.

• Harrleson said:

I tried to pull a good interview from her back in like 2004/2005. I was DJ’ing in Charlotte at the time. She came into the studio and dealing with her was like dealing with a 16 year old scalded child. It’s her way or the highway. This is her last CD because she probly can’t get along with her rotating band members. Hydra isn’t bad I have to admit. I agree with the poster above me.

• Wes said:

I’ve visited this site on and off since 2006. I can’t believe that long. I know Andrew personally/socially and he’s a good guy who will always do what’s right (and what’s right for business).

It must be recognized that when someone asks a tough question during an interview, it’s not done to “stir the pot”. In most cases it’s not. So when Darius asked about food on the road or Andrew asked about the band member issue, it amounts to nothing more then journalism. Logical questions that most people shy away from because they want to be “liked”.

After writing all that I will say the only reason I have followed this site and the audio interviews is for that very reason. It’s not for controversy but to hear genuine conversations that go places that others won’t go. It’s always done in a respectable way here.

I’m not an Otep fan but she had me willing to take another listen until she spazzed out at the end.

“Do you remember Union Underground? Reach 454? Puya? FLAW, Darwin’s Waiting Room and Sw1tched?”

All but Puya!

Magical indeed, because I can talk about these bands for hours.

• fx blessed said:

All Knowing Force actually pulled a decent interview out of Otep until the two magical questions at the end about meat and band members. I was warming up to her about the pet stuff and then it was all back to hate at the end.

Say what we all want – but Otep is Otep. For good or for bad, she’s herself and that’s all we should ask from our artists. I am not a fan in the slightest but she’s the embodiment of all that “metal” so many of “us” speak about.

Good for her.

• sailor moon said:

Otep has released some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad music over the years. She’s lasted much longer than I would have thought. It’s time to walk away.

Turn Me On Mr. Deadman.

• deadpool said:

Just listened to this. Enjoyable. Made her somewhat likable til the end!