Home » Andrew Bilach, Music, Music Interviews, Owl

Chris Wyse of Owl and The Cult Interview

27 March 2013 13 Comments

By: Andrew Bilach

Owl The Band with Chris Wyse of The Cult

Chris Wyse has worked with a who’s who of legendary musicians: Jerry Cantrell, Ozzy Osbourne, Scott Weiland, and the list goes on and on. He’s been playing bass for The Cult since 2006 and also currently fronts Owl, a three-piece alternative rock band that could play with anyone from Creed to Korn.

The Right Thing, the second full-length Owl album will be released on April 9th, 2013. This record truly lives in the moment. It’s very primal, organic, competent rock music played with conviction. The Right Thing opens with a cover of The Kinks track “Destroyer.” An album opening with a cover – daring and unconventional, to say the least. As far as I’m concerned, this is rock and roll, the way it should be – not an overthought collection of songs that all sound identical. Plus, I’m a sucker for the upright bass. I’m asking that you give this record a shot. Just give it your attention for a few songs. I did, and it’s been in constant rotation in my headphones for weeks.

You can check out Owl’s self-titled debut record, released in 2009, if you’re eager to get started. If you’re in the New York area, the band plays the Mercury Lounge on Friday, March 29th, in Albany at Upstate Concert Hall on the 30th, and they’re back in Albany for a show with 10 Years in May. There are also West Coast dates posted as well.

The conversation with Chris appears uncut and unedited. We go through being selected to audition for Metallica, playing with Ozzy, living with Jerry Cantrell, Alice In Chains, Owl (obviously), and much more.

YOU CAN STREAM THE AUDIO HERE. TO DOWNLOAD, RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE AS ON THE LINK.

Owl: Official Site, Facebook, Twitter

Here’s a video for the song “Pusher” from the self-titled album.

Save Time & Drive More Business with Email + Social Marketing

Never heard of this band. Have heard of The Cult. This guy is a cool interview but no way he’s from Queens with that voice. I’m digging some of this Owl stuff. I don’t see how it can break into the mainstream.

I Rhapsody’d the 1st album and the production is slightly weak but I like what these guys are trying to do. It’s good to hear him making a living in music because I know so many that are suffering and in crazy debt. The gig with the cult is probably super cool. I’d call Owl experimental hard rock and not for everyone.

Andrew, you deserve a round of applause. I listened to this interview out of boredom. I had no clue who this guy was or who Owl was and you kept my attention for a full half an hour. As someone who has studied the bass guitar, I can tell you this guy has a very distinct sound. The Owl stuff really isn’t for me but he is kinda cute. Just sayin’.

I don’t care what anyone says — auditioning for Metallica is a dream come true for any bass player. Playing with Ozzy as well. The Cult sucks and Ian Astbury is a cllllloooowwwwnnnn.

I might head in early to the ITM show in Albany where these guys are opening. I’ll be in the area for Easter with family. Northern Lights or Upsetate Concert Hall blow, you’re so right about that.

• mAAT said:

The Cult > Owl

to all the bass guys out there, this cat can play. i have long listened to my music with the bass at 10 and treble all the way down. robert trujillo is what made me want to learn bass guitar. it’s cool kirk hammett recommended this guy to Ozzy. kirk’s horror book is sick.

the cult was never my cup of tea.

This is the type of music that has to grow on you. It’s not something you’ll get in one listen. I listened to the first CD on Rhapsody and thought it was pretty good. I’ll wait for this new one and spin it a few times. Amazon should have it cheap when it comes out. I was very disappointed in the new Sevendust CD I picked up today.

Jerry Cantrell is the man. Any interview that gives Jerry that level of respect is alright with me. AIC is what got me into rock music back in 1993.

• LOCH NESS said:

Good convo. Start taking calls and doing live shows again.

• Laura in NJ said:

Not only is this guy really cute, but he lived with Jerry Cantrell. I’m in love.

Happy Easter everyone!

• Fist of Dissent said:

This is some quirked out rock music and definitely not for everyone. I thought it was refreshing. My buddy at work hated it. To each his own.

I could never tell by this guy’s voice that he’s from Queens.

• Fairy God Mother said:

Nothing too special here. Just another dude earning a living in the music biz putting out a passion project.

• Sky66 said:

I respect Chris Wyse as a bass player. I never heard of him before this interview but was intrigued because you guys really only speak to people that are meritorious (even if the interviews stray into odd territory). The dude can play. As a bass player myself, I admire what he’s able to do seemingly flawlessly. I won’t go into the tech details because I know most of you don’t care, but he’s an exceptional player. This Owl stuff is hit or miss for me, but I’ll certainly follow him to see what’s he’s up to with the Cult and other things.

• lamont said:

Hit and miss band for me but it’s some dude putting out something he wants to put out. Most do this and put out utter crap but this isn’t bad. I’ll prob warm up to it over time. I did some reading on this guy and he’s had some cool experiences in the biz.

The musicianship here is stellar.