Home » Adler, Music Interviews

Jacob Bunton of Adler Interview

18 February 2013 16 Comments

I didn’t know what to expect from this interview. I knew Jacob Bunton from his days in Mars Electric, as well as fronting his current band, Lynam. It ended there. Never did I read an interview the guy, nor did I hear his speaking voice. I always thought he was related to Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls.

Jacob Bunton

Jacob Bunton

I didn’t expect much from Back From the Dead, Steven Adler’s first record of original material. I really didn’t. Anyone who says anything different should be banned from the industry. I was curious as to how it would sound, but again, didn’t expect much. Slash thought “The One That You Hated” should be the lead single, so the band went with it. In my opinion, the song is nothing more than your average rock fare. Then, the album arrives in the mail. I decided to give it an honest listen, which means while driving, at near deafening volume.

Here are some bold statements.

Back From the Dead is far superior to the last two Slash albums.

Back From the Dead is far superior to Chinese Democracy.

…and this is coming from a guy who is a fan of Slash’s work, as well as a huge Myles Kennedy fan. And I actually enjoyed Chinese Democracy.

ADLER has outdone themselves. This is a must-listen album. The band is going on the road and playing everywhere. You should be there when they hit your town.

The conversation with Jacob went all over the place. It appears completely unedited below. If you love rock music, take a listen. It’s not Adler-heavy. It’s not Lynam-heavy. By the time you’re done, you’ll want to have a beer with Jacob Bunton and buy the record. Trust me.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE INTERVIEW. TO SAVE, RIGHT CLICK AND THEN SAVE AS

Adler: Official Site, Facebook, Twitter

Instantly watch from thousands of TV episodes & movies streaming from Netflix. Try Netflix for FREE!

I never heard of this guy. He looks like a typical LA clown but he sounds much different than he looks. Why does he get a pass and the new guy in Filter doesn’t?

• the-end said:

Mars Electric – no one ever drops that name!! An oldie but goodie man. Jeez

• Bam Bam said:

You were optimistic and I gave it a shot. I’m not a Steven Adler guy and think he’s a dick. No reason for that but I just think that. I do think this CD rocks. His drumming is pretty darn impressive and this reminds me of Beautiful Creatures in some way. Really good CD you all should listen to. I don’t think it’s a gem by any means but it’s certainly worth going out of your way to hear.

• mightyjoe said:

AVERAGE LYRICS. AVERAGE EVERYTHING PRETTY MUCH BUT STILL A DELIGHTFUL LISTEN. LIKE THIS DUDE SAID DURING THE INTERVIEW: APPETITE IS THE BEST CD EVER. ALTHOUGH AVERAGE IN A LOT OF WAYS IM GLAD I TOOK THE TIME TO LISTEN TO THIS. SAW ADLERS APP MANY TIMES IN CALI AND THAT RAN ITS COURSE. FRESH TUNES, WILL BE SEEING THEM ON TOUR. THIS DUDE BUNTON SOUNDS LEGIT

• Hades said:

I applaud your honesty bro. I hate when “name” guys release solo records because more so then not they suck. Save Call Me Noone. If your in that rock vibe I’d check this out. I thought it was really good. When Jacob brought up OLP, I went back and revisited them also. Brings back so many memories.

• JRod said:

You would never think in a million years this dude with that wack hair and wack fingernail painting would give such a cool interview. Don’t dig the music but this cat sounds pretty cool

BTW, can you reply to my email about Coney Island High? I was wondering if you could help me.

• Laura In NJ said:

my brother used to throw darts at the photo inside the liner notes on the gnr cassette. don’t know why.

thank you guys for recognizing that jagged little pill was a great piece of musical achievement and just as heavy as any metal record.

tonic never went strong. one hit and then that song on the american pie soundtrack. their guitar player was super cute tho.

• Gus said:

My own exposure to Steven outside of being the original gnr drummer was on VH1. That show must of put him in a bad light. He came off like such a loser. I have seen others give interviews about him andd all sday he’s such a nice guy. TV can edit to make anyone look foolish I guess.

I saw Lynam once by accident. Caught the end of their set and I thought they were pretty killer – nothing revolutioonary but good.

• mAAT said:

WAY TO KISS THIS DUDE BALLS IN THAT WRITE UP

Adler’s Appetite was just a party band. I am so happy for Steven that he finally put out his own record. Anyone who shoots this man down for turning his life around should really rethink their existence.

I thought this guy was in Charm City Devils. J/k.

Great conversation. DRT screwed so many bands and people it’s not even funny. Would love to have a beer with this dude.

I know some of y’all are expecting a snarky comment but I don’t got one. I really wanted to lambaste Andrew for the write up but it’s quite accurate.

I don’t know how you get away with saying you didn’t expect anything from the CD. That’s not too professional. Haha (just bustin your chops).

• wes said:

This disc ROCKS. I thought you were a salesman for a second. 8/10. Way better than the last Slash. On par with By The Sword and better than Loaded, Snakepit etc. I decided to give it a try and bought it from ITUNES only ebcause this Bunton dude entertained me while I was listening in my car and sounded cool. Plus he repped Candlebox who totally rules to this day.

The One That You Hated ain’t a bad song and I can see why it was the single. This is so well rounded and I hope these guys do well on the road.

This really deserves to be heard.

KARNOV,

Johnny Radtke’s is in the process of ruining Filter (with the permission of Richard Patrick). Jacob Bunton actually co-wrote most of this album, and enhanced the Adler band. One is destroying, the other is building. Hence, no pass needed. Jacob Bunton is the real deal.

the-end,

You’re right about that. I’m not sure why. It seems people forgot about Nine Days too. I hear that song in elevators every now and then, though.

JRod,

If you want to speak with me about Coney Island High, send me an email that a competent adult would write – not some quickly composed iPad message.

Laura In NJ,

I saw Tonic open up for Dishwalla at Irving Plaza in 1996. The Refreshments were direct support. How about that?

ArchedIsisByleveling,

I appreciate you, man. I realize my write-ups can be a bit ADD, but they get the job done. If you want to read 6,000,000,000 words that essentially says something is good, you can do so on another site. I keep it simple. Darius is a much better “review writer” in the traditional sense. I help people find music. :)

• Mike said:

I have known Bunton for some time. Hes from AL.
    Lynam has been a huge local success as well as national for a while.
    Dude can shred guitar and play a fiddle like no ones business and
    An extremely cool dude to boot. Make no mistake the dude is legit and can write well
    Rounded lyrics and get melodies. He can make any 80′s or 90′s rock song sound amazing.
    Check out his Band Lynam also. So glad hes made it as far as he has. Proud for an AL brother in Rock!

There is a cool video of them doing Sweet Child with Duff in Japan that was just posted. I enjoy this interview and the CD. Will probably pick it up soon.