Home » Darius, Music, Music Interviews, Sevendust

Lajon Witherspoon of Sevendust Interview

15 February 2013 33 Comments

By: Darius

Lajon Witherspoon of Sevendust 2013

We at All Knowing Force are thrilled to have spoken with arguably the greatest heavy metal frontman of our generation in Lajon Witherspoon of Sevendust. Lajon, or LJ as he likes to be called, really needs no introduction. He’s a dominating presence on stage, fronting a massively respected band that is about to release their ninth studio album, Black Out The Sun, on March 26th.

Black Out The Sun Album Sevendust CD Cover

Nine albums… Let that sink in a moment. Sevendust have been around a long time! While the vast majority of their peers either fizzled out or have had dozens of lineup changes, the mighty Sevendust are still putting out incredible albums and playing hundreds of dates a year.

Talk to anyone who plays music for a living and Sevendust will be mentioned as either a direct influence on their career or as a band that commands the utmost respect. Sevendust are revered not only for their pure talent but their relentless work ethic.

And purely from a live perspective, there isn’t a band on the face of the earth who wants to follow Sevendust. Please!

LJ is the frontman for this band. His distinguished voice is the driving force behind the music. When you hear Lajon singing, you know it’s a Sevendust song.

Sevendust and Coal Chamber 2013 Tour

Sevendust (l) is currently on tour in the U.S. and begins a run with the recently reunited Coal Chamber (r) on March 28th

He’s also a hell of a guy. This was such an enjoyable discussion. His genuine affability shined and you could tell he was having as much fun as Andrew and I. We even tried to wrap the discussion and he kept us on longer to tell a story about the Amish Mafia television show. I can’t make this up.

LJ was on the tour bus this interview and it was pretty cool listening to him riff with guitarist John Connelly about old 7Dust songs. Needless to say, it was a blast. LJ actually said this is one of the best interviews he’s ever done; the ultimate compliment for All Knowing Force. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Lajon Witherspoon of Sevendust Screaming Live 2013

Black Out The Sun is available on March 26th, and I can tell you right now it’s one of the best records the band has ever done. It’s a dark one and definitely the heaviest overall since Alpha. We absolutely love it and know that you will too.

And for the record, “Ugly” is not what we call an “old” Sevendust tune but we might have to agree with you on the video.

Lajon Witherspoon…thank you for gracing our program. It was an absolute honor to have you. We often say that Sevendust can release a blank record and we’ll promote the hell out of it. It’s probably true. The reason being is the simple fact that this band has been so consistent… so unbelievable at their craft that we don’t get bored. They are a band of southern gents that know how to deliver interesting music with every release and a live show that is truly unparalleled.

You can download (Right Click, Save As) or stream the interview by click here.

• fx blessed said:

hahahahahahahahahaha, northern lights, the f’n man

what a fun listen, 2.5 more hours of work sitting at the desk, will blast decay during the downtime

7ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

• xBITTERPILLx said:

That photo of 7D and Coal Chamber takes me back because I was at the Irving Plaza show you mentioned.

Still a fan. After 7 I was a little skeptical but after hearing Decay I can’t wait for the CD.

• Strm Chsr said:

LJ? Always called the dude Lajon throuthout my life. Cant go to LJ now.

glad to hear the show back and kicking, do a full show!

• Cherry said:

I am a huge 7D fan!! This was probably the only 7D interview in the last 3 years that didn’t mention Clint. THANK GOD!

• SUiCiDE MeSSiaH said:

Lajon is such a chilled out dude man. Super pumped for the new album. I know they’ve talked about it but I hope this isn’t their last.

• Curly said:

I went back and listened to Chapter VII the other day and it’s not as bad as when I first listened a couple of years ago. It’s growing on me.

Cherry:

Thank you for pointing this out. I thought the same thing. All you hear is BLAH BLAH CLINT BACK IN THE BAND BLAH BLAH. That was 5 years ago. Enough already

Good work and I was in Northern Lights once in 2002 when I was visiting friends up at Albany U. I saw Papa Roach. That venue blows hard.

• SpeedRacer said:

7D has always stayed true to their sound. A phenomenal live band. Their acoustic work is stellar. I advise all you kids out there who’ve never seen 7D to get your arses (very professional way of saying it) in gear and get to the show.

Lajon is such a cool dude man. I listened to it while at the gym and then followed it up with Decay on repeat.

• Isle of the Cheetah said:

It seemed Lajon dodged the question of the solo CD. You guys probly brought it up because it was on the news sites but it’s good he seems to be focused on Sevendust. I didn’t listen to the other albums by the other guys but heard they were respectable. When I read the article I thought he was dead set on the solo stuff but it’s good to hear his priorities are in order. lol

7D FOREVER!

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

Curly:

Good work and I was in Northern Lights once in 2002 when I was visiting friends up at Albany U.I saw Papa Roach.That venue blows hard.

I was at that show too! Papa Roach with Nonpoint, Reach 454 and Die Trying. Hate the venue but I loved that show!

• CueOhTeeEsA said:

It’s such a bonding experience when two dudes remember bands like Reach 454 existed. Instant bro-hug.

Does anyone remember the Penny Arcade up in Albany?

I recall booking Reach 454 on a show a decade ago.

It’s amazing how sharp our memories are. Huh, fellas?

• Deadpool1 said:

good lighthearted conversation boys, loved it

• wes said:

I used to think Andrew had hidden agendas when he’d do these interviews. I came to the conclusion that some of the outlandish things he says are the reason I actually still visit this site. I truly believe this stuff is what’s on his mind and not a predetermined thing to say that’s a little controversial.

Northern Lights sucks. I long distance dated my current wife for years when she was going to Albany Law. We saw plenty of shows at that dump. I remember one time having to choke some dude who purposely avalanched me into one of the poles. The only way anyone can like that place is if that’s all you got. If that’s all you got you make do. If you’ve ventured out to the real world, then you look at that place with disgust.

I was at the Papa Roach Nonpoint show Darius and the other dude mentioned. Such a good show man. Even at Northern Lights it was great. Always wish papa Roach would pull out some of the deeper cuts from the Infest CD.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

I was actually at Papa Roach/Stone Sour this past Wednesday night… Papa Roach STILL brings it… Such an awesome live band.

Reach 454! A blast from the past to say the least! I forgot all about them! Not that there was much to remember but I always took pride in remembering all the obscure bands.

I saw 7D back in the early 2000′s. It had to be on Seasons. It was at some club in Springfield Mass. A band called Element Eighty from Dallas opened the show. Anyone remember those guys? Live they were decent but when I plucked their record out of a dollar CD been I realized they were crap.

Now all you have to do is get John and Vin on the show. Getting pumped for the new record.

• thor said:

Which were your favorite members of 7D to speak to?

• RISE said:

Ugly is not old Sevendust. Surpised Lajon said that. Wonder what the bands thinks of the stuff pre Next…ancient? :)

• Taylor said:

xBITTERPILLx:

As was I. It was my 2nd concert ever. Great show and can’t wait to see it again. Lajon is the man.

• thembones666 said:

wes,

I occasionally see comments pop up where this is questioned. As someone that worked in radio and now works in television, I’ll tell you that these guys seriously do not prepare for shows. I say that in the most loving, as-a-fan kind of way. It adds to the charm of shows and makes everything relaxed. Andrew doesn’t sit there and think of non-traditional questions. I’m sure that’s just what’s on his mind.

These guys are entertaining. I really liked the talk with Lajon.

Can you PLEASE post the Buckcherry interview from 2006 with the original text accompaniment?

• anon said:

This is the best live hard rock band in the world, kids.

I wish this was a call in show. You should do those again. I had a few quick questions for Mr. Witherspoon.

NO MENTION OF CLINT! YES!

• J-Man said:

I’m pumped for the tour with Coal Chamber. I’m all nostalgic just thinking about it. I hope this isn’t the end of 7D. I think your interview was pretty entertaining. I’m a first day legal buyer of BOTS.

thor,

That’s like asking me which breakfast place I prefer – Waffle House, Cracker Barrel or IHOP. Anytime I feel like we’re having more of a conversation than a question and answer session, I will lean that way. For that reason and that reason only: Lajon.

thembones666,

I need to dig and find that audio. I’m not sure the text would have the same impact. That interview was done in 2006. I will never forget getting emailed a list of questions to ask five minutes before the show. For those that don’t know, and I am assuming 95% of you don’t, I did that interview under protest, and as it was happening, made an effort to make it as lame and awkward as possible, without being too obvious. The management company was treating Keith Nelson like Keith Richards. I just remember making posts to the site asking people for really basic, annoying questions as the show was happening. It was much better live and I believe its recorded value has lost its luster.

ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius,

I don’t recall you ever busting out Reach 454. You were stuck on Depswa for a while.

• kingslender said:

Reach 454 was dreadful. (admits he purchased the record)

• hades said:

I thought they were gonna call it a day when the financial troubles set in after Seasons. These cats are warriors. They stuck through it and label crap and emerged on top. Lajon is smooth man. Love that guy.

Sevendust never screws with their formula but the product never gets old. I’m surprised Lajon thinks Ugly was old. When I heard him say that I was a little taken back. If it says anything it’s that they’re pumped for now and the future. If Decay is an indication everything is looking real good.

• zebo said:

I never heard an interview with Lajon. This was really good. He sounds like such a cool dude. Amped for BOTS.

• Duckie said:

They’re completing ignoring Alpha during recent touring. That’s one of my favorite albums they put out. The new Fear Factory CD is great. You guys should cover it.

• psychokiller said:

This dude is so laid back. Love Sevendust and respect all your coverage of the band.

• Bam Bam said:

1 of the coolest feelings ever has to be when someone whose music you love is actually a super cool dude in real life. Props to Lajon.

• Backspace said:

Lajon still has his pipes.

The guy above me spoke to this but it was cool hearing him so laid back during the interview. Hate when guys are full of themselves.

• MobRules said:

I have listened to this show obsess over Sevendust to the point I never wanted to listen EVER again. I go back and give them a few more spins. I think I now see what you guys see but nowhere near on that level. I made the mistake of judging them by Seasons and that’s cleary dumb. Lajon gave y’all a great interview and I have nothing but respect and think Ill head out and grab me and my wife a ticket for their tour with Coal Chamber.

• Domini said:

I love how this band never changes or evolves yet no one seems to care. Sevendust for life. Good interview to. \m/

• Deuce said:

If you had to put together a 7D EP of your greatest hits by the band, what would it be?