Home » Korn, Love and Death, Music Interviews

Brian “Head” Welch of Love and Death Interview

14 February 2013 12 Comments

We first spoke with Head in May 2012, shortly before Love and Death played The Chance in Poughkeepsie as support to Red, and POD. At that time, we had their EP, Chemicals, which turned out to be more than a pleasant surprise. Now, we have the full-length, Between Here & Lost, released back on January 22nd.

Love And Death Between Here and Lost Album CD Cover Art

Shortly after his departure from Korn, Head went Jesus crazy, as has been well documented. During the interview, he admitted that it was a little much, and even laughed at himself a bit. I’ve always admired people that stand strong in their beliefs, but don’t take themselves so seriously. Head has turned that corner, both personally, and professionally.

Brian Head Welch and Love and Death Band Photo

We talk a good deal about the new record and go into detail about some of the tracks. Finally, he’s escaped. He’s saved himself, from himself. Gone is the experimentation of Save Me from Myself and here is the Head we all know and love. As I’ve said many times, and as a lot of others have said as well, Korn has not released anything relevant since Head left. What Korn has been missing exists on Between Here & Lost. If you’re a riff person, this is the record for you.

Korn and Head are now on good terms again, and it appears they might be doing some shows together in the near future. We discussed the thoughts of his current band members about the now Korn kinship, and many other things.

Take a listen. Grab the record. You won’t be sorry. If there’s anything that I can sell you on, it’s that I thought the record was going to be dreadful. Then, I heard the EP. Now, the LP. If I’m sold, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

• Space Agent said:

Brian is an inspiration to me. I was always a big Korn fan and still am. But since he left the band their sound changed. I like the old school Korn sound more. I also had a drug problem and changed my life around. Don’t hate the survivors. Nothing but respect for this guy.

• owlnyc said:

they need to ditch the makeup and just play there instruments. sounds great but they look stupid. saw them this summer opening for i forget who i go to so many shows but was pleasantly surprised. they need to look more mature

• Southside Anon said:

good interview, humble, praise and the glory be to god.

jesus or not, head rules

• dk said:

Who would have thought after everything that this dude was the most important guy in Korn? Hated this dude throughout their success but now can see that it was him that drove their sound. If Korn did this record and put their stamp on it, it’d be even better.

Big ups to you guys for putting your necks out for Head. I know all you want to talk about is Filter, Sevendust, Deftones and allbands of that genre.

• BlackBetty said:

SO MANY HATERS. SO MANY HATERS.

PUT THE RELIGIOUS STUFF ASIDE AND ENJOY THE MUSIC. HIS 1ST CD SAVE ME OR WHATEVER IT WAS SUCKED BUT THIS NEW ONE IS BAD ASS.

COOL HEARING HIM SO HUMBLE.

• Evul said:

I would have never listened to this crap and I wish I didn’t waste my time taking your advice to do so. NEVER will I have that 5 minutes back. Get your ears checked dude.

• WD48 said:

I never would have given it a chance if it weren’t for Andrew pushing this so hard. It’s not bad. I wanted to hate it (have to admit it!) but didn’t. Very nu-metal in spots but that’s not as much of a disease as people make it. This sure is better than anything Korn’s done in recent memory.

Space Agent,

Anyone who can come off the stuff and hold their head high is an inspiration. Congratulations.

He needs a new band or they need to take off the makeup. I just saw them again with In This Moment and it came to me that they’re being hindered by their appearance.

Head is a star. (cough)

Good spot.

I’d like to thank everyone for the mostly positive feedback regarding the Love And Death coverage. It was a bit of a risk to stick my head out considering the “climate” on this site from time to time. I felt that there was a bit of an injustice by the media and the fans against this guy. Sure, it was mostly self-inflicted, and that horrid first album didn’t do him any favors. But, Between Here and Lost is worthy of your attention. It’s not a masterpiece by any means, but Head deserves all the credit in the world for not only changing the opinion of the masses, but making people realize he was one of, if not the most important components of one of the most successful bands in heavy music history.

I can’t add anything after that post. Well said, friend.

• speakeasy said:

I was one of the haters. I admit it. PLEASANTLY surprised by this CD. Picked it up on Amazon and it should be here in 2 days.

Korn should be embarrassed.

Picked this CD up at a show and have not stopped listening to it. Would would of though????