Home » Discussions

If you could bring any artist back from the dead to perform a concert in your favorite club, who would it be and why?

13 August 2012 22 Comments

I’d like to thank Mark from Queens for submitting this question. He posts under the name KARNOV.

Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash Memorial Grave

The burial place of Johnny and June Carter Cash in Hendersonville, TN.

Andrew: Honorable mention would have to go to Layne Staley, Roy Orbison, and Kurt Cobain, but without a doubt, my answer to this question would be Johnny Cash. I remember being a 16 year old kid and seeing an original copy of one of Johnny’s performance riders. Basically, all it contained was a request for a bar of soap and running water. That was the icing on the cake for me, and if I was to write about the actual cake, I’d need about 10,000 more words.

Layne Staley

Mr. Layne Staley

Darius: Layne Staley. But it would have to be earlier Alice in Chains, around the Dirt era. After Jar of Flies and especially after the self-titled, he hardly moved on stage. Alice in Chains’ music is dear to me and Layne’s voice is indescribably profound. Kurt Cobain and Nirvana are a CLOSE second followed by Jimi Hendrix.

I would enjoy nothing more than a private performance in my living room of an hour of blistering guitar work by none other than Randy Rhoads. I’ve lived with a guitar in my hands for over two decades and the reason I started was that man.

Kurt Cobain is a logical choice for most of us but don’t any of you think – what would happen if it didn’t live up to expectations? Most of us have listened to Nirvana for way too many hours in our life to the point where Kurt – as far as music goes – is like a God. I don’t think he’d be able to be as good as we think he is. He’s been put on that pedestal for way too long to be able to live up to it. My answer to the question is George Harrison. The 1st MTV video I ever saw was I Got My Mind Set On You. I was hooked from being a kid and it’s still never wavered.

• fx blessed said:

Layne. I’ve grown older and realize just how important and necessary Jerry is to AIC, but Layne’s voice is magical. So many people think it’s just Man In The Box-esque stuff but Nutshell, Don’t Follow, I Stay Away are just ridiculously good. I grew up on Seattle, and Eddie and Chris are still alive, so it’s Layne. No doubt my answer to this is Layne.

• Greg Fast said:

Shannon Hoon: There was so much potential that I’ve sort of fantasized about new music from Blind Melon for many years of my youth. Way more than just No Rain with these guys. There was something special going on here that never got played out. In my head I saw it but I’d do anything to see a live show. I know all the words and listen to them all the time. Sure I know Shannon isn’t up there with the greatest that lived but to me his is.

• Henrietta from Oslo said:

My answer to this question is someone whose not dead but might as well be at this point- Steve Perry. As a teenage girl throughout all the Journey hoopla I never got to see him live. I’ve never been one to splurge on concerts but if I ever had the chance to see Steve sing his music himself and not a fake double, I’d probably pay into the thousands. That’s what their music means to me. My husband would definitely say Jimi Hendrix. His man cave (upstairs converted bedroom) is devoted to Jimi artifacts.

• hopp said:

THE MAN IN BLACK – JOHNNY CASH. No explanation needed.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

Greg Fast,

Excellent choice. Blind Melon was amazing and did not receive nearly enough credit. I’m a HUGE fan of their music. You should check out their live at the Metro dvd if you haven’t already.

• EZ E said:

A little confused seeing Shannon Hoon mentioned. I can see maybe wanting him back to see what he could have done but based on his actual work this doesn’t make sense. Too each his own though and I did really like the Blind Melon stuff.

• Xylon in The Bronx said:

Freddie Mercury. One of a kind. Like Mr. John Cash. Gangster.

• Omar said:

Dude, I remember they did a Behind The Music on Blind Melon. One night I was BAKKKKKEEEEED and woke up the next day thinking I saw a Blind Melon documentary. Crazy they wasted an hour of programming on those dudes when they did nothing really. I dont drink or smoke any more so I’m cool when it comes to that.

I wanted to be funny and say Rick Allen’s right arm but I’m gonna say Bon Scott. Just like Sammy and DLR did that tour way back…..Bon and Brian…

• Ivy said:

This is one of those questions you have to answer quick because if not you’ll be fighting with yourself for hours.

UNEQUIVOCALLY FOR ME…RONNIE JAMES DIO. I will forever kick myself in the ass for not seeing him live.

I like the dudes point about Kurt above though. I think the only thing he could do is worse than we think.

Kurt Cobain. There is no honorable mention.

Kurt Cobain – 100%.

I know this might sound nuts given the scope of what’s usually talked about on this site but my answer is Tupac. That guy was revolutionary and he’s my one non-rock staple in my CD collection.

Layne Staley would be 2nd.

3rd……Johnny Cash

• Laura in NJ said:

…the lovely angelic voice of Karen Carpenter.

• SMASHER DEVOURER said:

MY ANSWER IS THE SAME AS DARIUS AND BASICALLY FOR THE SAME REASON. I’D WANT LAYNE AND I’D WANT DIRT LAYNE. SURE ID TAKE HIM IN ANY FORM BUT THERE WAS A MARKED DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE EARLY DAYS AND TOWARDS THE END. SO SAME ANSWER AS DARIUS WITH THE SAME COMMENT AS TO WHICH VERSION.

2ND PLACE GOES TO CLARENCE CLEMONS. MY DAD RECENTLY PASSED AND WAS HIS BIGGEST FAN. HE IS THE REASON I LEARNED TO PLAY SAX. I’D TAKE A CLUB SHOW WITH CLARENCE ANY DAY FOR HIS MUSIC AND FOR WHAT HE MEANT TO MY DAD AND I.

• zebo said:

I’m easily on Jimi here, just because he was the innovator.

But Blind Melon? Come on bro. Maybe you’d like to see what the dude and the band could do but wanting to bring him back to play a song that’s remember for bee costumes?

• Andy said:

Gotta go with Peter Steele on this one. I never got a chance to see Type O live, which is a shame because Bloody Kisses was one of those albums that basically shaped who I am as a music fan. So much darkness, humor and melody came out of that man. Truly a legend in his own time.

Heck, even if I never got to see him perform, I’d at least like to shake his hand and share a beer with him.

Shannon Hoon? I see Shannon Hoon’s named mentioned multiple times and no Jim Morrison? You all have gone mad.

Michael Jackson is it for me. I wouldn’t want anything grandiose but just to see him perform in a small place would be surreal. I grew up on his music and my love for hard rock spawned from his music. Don’t ask me how.

Shannon Hoon – NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If you grew up when most of us that visit this site did, Kurt absolutely has to be in your top 3.

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana….all the freakin way.

I know it’s implied we’re talking about music here but my answer to this question is GEORGE CARLIN. I know he was a comedian but I never got to see him do a set. He spoke the truth and I’d love to sit down with that dude.

HONORABLE MENTION: Jim Morrison – FYI, check out those new videos of Manson playing in Los Angeles with some members of The Doors.

I’ve listened to Blind Melon’s catalog and was largely unimpressed. It seems a lot of you are enamored with their work. I think that’s great.

I just don’t see how anyone could say that they’d like to see a Blind Melon show over say, Queen with Freddie Mercury. I understand how someone would like to see it, but put up with Freddie, Kurt, Layne, Johnny, and that class of artist, it’s hard for me to comprehend how Blind Melon would top anyone’s list.

Omar, I remember that Behind The Music. I too was a little bewildered that they were featured.

To each their own.

• Reach said:

Brad Delp and Boston.

Zeppelin was what got me into rock as a kid. Yeah the rap stuff was going on and the kids were into it. I branched off to Boston and became a fan of their catalog. They were more MY band than anything else because it seemed so many people were all about Zeppelin, etc. I never got to see them play live but was planning to shortly before Brad’s death. They got some masterpiece songs. Big songs. Sure I’ve gotten into the metal, hardcore etc but Boston was that one band I felt comfortable with for lack of something of a better adjective.

Brad Delp – Boston.

2nd would be Jimi Hendrix. Not a guitar player but that dude was something else. DECADES before his time.