Home » Bands, Candlebox, Darius, Music

Interview with Kevin Martin of Candlebox

28 May 2012 12 Comments

by: Darius

In early April, I attended the Candlebox record release show at 12th & Porter in Nashville, TN and wrote a review about the experience. The response has been unbelievable. I was actually startled when looking at the recent numbers. Therefore, having someone from Candlebox join our program was a no-brainer.

So lead singer Kevin Martin stepped up to the plate to talk about the band, talk about the tour, talk about the new record, Love Stories and Other Musings, and talk about a handful of other topics as well.

Candlebox

This was a refreshing conversation. Kevin was opinionated and sincere and basically everything we hope for in a guest. Personally, I got a kick out of his relief that the band did not get included in the Guitar Hero franchise, even though they went into the studio to re-record songs just for that purpose!

After talking with Kevin I did realize that the man is right about one thing: kids today aren’t learning how to play music from the true legends in music history. The Beatles, The Stones, and the mighty Led Zeppelin are bands that aren’t even being studied in books, since nobody reads anymore.

Nope. In this day and age, Steven Tyler is simply a judge on American Idol and the star of a terrible Burger King commercial, not one of the greatest rock n‘ roll singers of all time. Nobody even knows what the “M” in “MTV” is supposed to represent nor do they care.

This man sang on Rocks.

It’s a true shame but thankfully there are still a few bands like Candlebox. Playing good music in packed clubs and putting on a real show. Playing honest rock n’ roll with passion and the skills that hearken back to the true greats that came before us. You gotta love it.

After you listen to the audio, head on over to the Candlebox website, where tour dates are posted. If you didn’t see them live on this past run, then you’re in luck because the band just booked a slew of dates beginning June 19th in Fayetteville, Arkansas and through the rest of the summer.

You can download or stream the audio here. If you’d like to download, right click and Save As.

• gompf said:

Everything here is sick. You guys rule. Love Candlebox can’t wait to see them in CT

• Alexei said:

All of this has just cost me $100. Going to see them this summer in CT. Great article!

• VeH said:

You took shots at my boy, Steven Tyler. I’ll give you a break because you’re really supporting Candlebox. I’ve been a fan for 20 years. I thoroughly enjoyed your show review, radio show and this text above. Kudos for covering great music — real music. Not POD and Korn (eh hem!).

• Dr Acula said:

I’m Candlebox’s newest fan. Thank you for the introduction. Cheers!

• Bloody Roots said:

I came to your site after hearing about it on the radio here in Kansas City. We love our Candlebox and grunge/post-grunge here. Keep up the good work!

• dropbows said:

weird how Kevin Martin has become a dead ringer for James Spader, much like Candlebox, also rules.

• robin alloun said:

you guys are my altimate favorite band i have been coming to your shows since you started playing. now this time when you come to the Chicagoland area….. this year i am hoping to bring my kids to the show, to show them what an awesome rock band really is. While growing up i always favored Zep until you guys came along. But Kevin you are correct these kids need to read and know where the real music comes from because i always thoght you has a little Zepplin in you so we know what kind of music you studied from. you guys ROCK and i am looking forward to seeing you this summer!!!! LOVE your number one fan forever!!!

• sunshine30086 said:

I love Candlebox !! I was so lucky to get to see them a couple weeks ago in Ft. Wayne,IN . They rocked the house !!! Best show ever !! Hope I get the chance to see them again someday !!

• KITTinKC said:

Bloody Roots,

Hell yeah! I’m in KC too. Still love Candlebox!

• Suzi M said:

I been a fan from the very beginning, seen them a dozen times @ least. Great band & awesome singer KM is:)<3

• Ty said:

Love CANDLEBOX! Glad you are still at it!

• shell said:

Way back in the day touring around in a blue van. The beginning of an awesome ride. Thank you from Ty and I for staying in my CD player for 19 years. I really have to go out and get the first CD it seems they get scratched over the years.:)))) peace/ Love 2U see you next time around Indy. And as always Bless your heart honey for being the peoples band

Ty,