Home » Andrew Bilach, Buried Treasures, Music, Paw

Buried Treasures: Paw – Death to Traitors

30 April 2012 10 Comments

Paw Death to Traitors CD Record Album Artwork Cover

The first album ever to “speak to me” was Death to Traitors by Paw. I was in my early teens at the time, doing the Nirvana thing, the Weezer Blue Album thing, the Siamese Dream thing, etc. Kurt Cobain had just committed suicide. Prior to that, the only other musician death that hit close to my musical home was Def Leppard’s Steve Clark. I became more fascinated by Nirvana music, and equally by the aura of Kurt Cobain. I was a kid. Processing and understanding all of it was a little over my head at the time.

On my way home from school, I picked up a rock magazine and one of the writers was touting this band Paw to be the next Nirvana. They had one album out at the time, Dragline, and one that just came out called Death to Traitors. I immediately went to a used record store and purchased the latter. Getting back to the “speak to me” comment above, it wasn’t this big emotional thing. It was more on a poetic level. Mark Hennessy’s vocals were very grunge, very “I just gargled with glass.” The lyrics, the poetic storytelling, the voice – everything was there. I remember listening to every word, and while the subject matter was mainly dark and hopeless, it was uplifting in a way I can’t explain.

I’ve mentioned Paw to people for years. These videos don’t do the band or this album justice. If you were even remotely a fan of Nirvana, you’re going to love Paw. It’s a bit of a deeper listen. I hope you enjoy what you hear.

• 69 eyes said:

This is some good stuff. All their songs are on Youtube but the CD’s are expensive online. I guess they’re rare and OOP.

Why did I never hear of them?

• Sugars said:

Never heard of Paw until now. I don’t think they’re on Rhapsody. I’m truly digging this stuff though.

I really got into the 7M3 record American Standard recently. Great quality stuff.

• thestandard said:

I am blown away so far I can’t even imagine. I thought I’d listened to all the bands from this area even as obscure as Rusty who you wrote about years ago. I’ve listened to all the Paw on Youtube and have now spent $25 on Amazon acquiring the CD’s.

This is what music is supposed to sound like. A day discovering new music is a day blessed.

• rcarlton said:

I definitely see what you mean. This is quite the breathtaking post grunge. It got lost somewhere which is a total shame. I now need to buy this stuff and unfortunately even used it’s expensive.

• masonj said:

I recall reading about Paw in some magazines. They weren’t accessible at the time. I don’t think their label pushed them because I did own this and Dragline. I bought them both in 2000 after hearing that they were playing shows again and that I never really listened to them. I listed to this CD to this day.

I’m pleased with the response to this article. It’s such a pleasure to interact with other people about this band.

• The Price said:

Powerful stuff right here! Definitely digging it! Love the dude’s voice! The investigation will continue…

• the dream said:

I read this article when it first came out and considered buying the disc on Amazon. It was priced a little high. The price has since double. My guess is all the other f*ckers who read this before me did the same thing and demand killed the supply. Damnit!

• ToxicTwist said:

Loving this band! Thanks for the writeup dude!

• Ollie said:

just discovered this band thanks to akf. 15 years too late but this record is just something else. kind of makes me wander where it was my whole life. whatever it is grunge or straight up rock, its just a great disc.