Home » Andrew Bilach, Bands, Music, Music Interviews, POD

Interview with POD Frontman Sonny Sandoval

30 April 2012 30 Comments

POD Payable On Death Group Band Photo Promo 2011

Labels and publicists love to see energetic, insightful articles written about artists on their roster. Over the years, I’ve learned that writing such articles can be detrimental to the ultimate goal, which is encouraging an audience to buy a concert ticket, merchandise, or an album. While these types of articles work in print media, they don’t work online, and certainly not for All Knowing Force.

All metaphors and overeducated words aside, let me do what it is I’m here to do. I’ve been to 700+ shows and can say, without a doubt, POD is one of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. Post-Satellite I’d meet resistance when I’d talk them up. I’d always fire back with, “Catch them live and then we’ll talk.” I’ve watched as their live show made fans out of their biggest detractors. They’re going to be doing a lot of touring on this album cycle. For the kids out there, put the skinny jeans and thick-framed nerd glasses away. Buy a POD ticket. See how it’s done.

I became a fan in 2000 after seeing “Southtown” on MTV. I immediately bought the record. Then came Satellite. Bought it. Loved it. I’ll admit, they lost me a bit with the subsequent albums. But when POD came to town, I was there losing my mind…each and every time.

I was flying solo when Sonny Sandoval came on the show. My morning was grueling. He was in the midst of doing a plethora of boring, formulaic interviews. So, to amuse ourselves, we talked about Bad Brains, the hood, and fake peeps.

POD’s new album, Murdered Love, will be released on June 19th, 2012 via Razor & Tie.

You can stream the interview here, or save it to your computer by right-clicking, Save As.

Visit POD’s official site for all things POD as well as links to all their social media.

• SpaceInTime said:

I think I’m sold on buying a ticket to this tour they’re on with RED.

• 867-5309 said:

You can count me in one that one too. That’s some bold words in this post. I never saw them and always wanted to back in the day. They always played on weeknights and I had to get up at 4am for work. I heard good things from my boys about them. Funny you mention the Jones Beach thing cause I won tickets to that. I got there just as POD got off and Incubus got on. That entire show sucked.

• Dominic said:

I find it offensive that Andrew finds it necessary to always insult other people’s originality. I was entertained by the appearance of POD and the conversation but it shouldn’t be at the expense of others.

• KrazyBaby said:

I’M FROM POUGHKEEPSIE AND NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT PUT OFF YOU DOGG IT. PLACE IS A DUMP. SOON AS I GET SOME LOOT I’M OUT THIS HELL HOLE. I’M GOING TO GET A TICKET FOR ME AND MY GIRL. I’M COMIN FOR YO ASS DREW IF THIS SHOW IS WEAK

• Brian Doran said:

Hahahahahaha, i was at that roseland k-rock thing you mentioned. bush, cypress hill, pete yorn, bush, and pod. i think nickelback too. time flies. i might even still have my stub

This cat ain’t hood. Straight up as fake as everyone he says is fake. BS uplifting Christian noise.

Am I in a time warp? POD is back now? How long were they going to wait to announce it? Hopefully people still care. I owned Brown before anyone knew who they were.

• SMASHERDEVOURER said:

Marcos is a blubberwhale. He looks like a ball. Southtown still a sick CD tho!

• Curious Jorge said:

Andrew’s solo interviews are hilarious. They always keep me entertained. He has a point. I really don’t care who produced a record. I want to get to know the artist.

• HEAVENLY said:

Bad Brains originated nothing. Why even bring them up? Who cares about them? No one even knows who they are.

• ZeroSignal said:

Bad Brains invented hardcore punk. They took the Sex Pistols and Ramones and made it three times as fierce, loud and in your face. H.R. was the real deal. But what set them apart from most was they had true musical talent. These guys were playing jazz fusion before they discovered punk, and there are amongst the best musicians ever to play rock, not least punk. That they mixed their sound with reggae and dub was another mark of their greatness. To have been at one of their shows in the 70’s and 80’s was a true privilege.

• NJ908 said:

Bad Brains is one of the best bands of all time. Just go and listen to Dr. Know pull off those sick solos, H.R.’s voice going from deep to high pitched in a millisecond, Jennifer’s amazing live bass playing (Youth Are Getting Restless CD), and the drummer, Earl Hudson, is still my favorite of all time. These guys created hardcore punk like the person above me said, and were playing it years before anybody else did. Don’t forget they are probably the best American reggae band as well.

• Alcohaulin Ass said:

Rock The Party was TRL’s first ever number one video. This interview with Sonny was comical.

• MC Lionheart said:

Someone wrote this above me but I enjoyed this listen. Please stop doing the serious interviews with other artists. They bore me. Get back to what AKF is about. Pod is sick live. Sick. I’m driving 180 miles to see them and pumped.

Dominic,

In 2012, wearing skinny jeans and thick-rimmed glasses is probably the least original fashion statement a person can make. Unless “originality” is defined differently in your world. If so, then maybe you have a point.

KrazyBaby,

You will not be disappointed. But, if you are, and you come for me, I’ll be ready.

Brian Doran,

Please take a look and see if you can locate that ticket stub. I have one somewhere too. I think Nickelback was on that bill. Bush killed it that night.

HEAVENLY,

Your statement is blasphemous. It is probably the most uninformed, idiotic statement I’ve read this year.

MC Lionheart,

My goal is to entertain this audience, and if I entertain this audience, it translates to interested ears and open wallets. When interested ears open their minds and wallets, our guests receive much needed support. We’re doing our part.

• The Fundamental said:

Testify was their best album IMO. I blast Mark My Words all the time. That track is the jam.

Sonny sounds like a cool dude, chill and laid back.

• Kronus said:

i dont get these hipsters thinkin they so original with they whack ass clothes and whack ass hair, keep it real those mfers is whack

enjoyed this show bro, sonny is a real g

• TTTC said:

I checked this spot out while at work yesterday and laughed my ass off. I was kinda hoping it wasn’t going to be like all the typical interviews but when Andrew does these solo and without Darius they’re more fun. I can see how some wouldn’t like it less serious but hey I’m going to be catching these cats live in a couple of days so it sold me my ticket.

• Digital Dreams said:

had no idea they were back, good news is abound

never got into them the first time around but saw them in fl and they smoked, ppl threw down and i went and bought testify and southtown after that. they 50/50 with me but live as you said they knock it out the box

red can’t hold pod’s nuts on a live stage

• KAOS said:

Thinking Of Forever is prolly their best song and most underrated songs. It’s on Satellite. Check it out. Reminds me of my Mom. Stoked to hear POD is back. I’m looking for more dates this summer because this tour with RED is nowhere near me.

• Jay Graffiti said:

The Fundamental:

Ain’t that the truth! They don’t play that jam live unfortunately. I didn’t even know they were back or a CD was coming out next month. The only jam I hear on the radio is Alive or Youth. That’s it. The new stuff gets no burn.

• Ironlung said:

I’m FLOORED by anyone who says anything negative about Bad Brains as an influence. Yeah you can not be into their music but to deny who they influenced is just retarded.

Sonny appear to be in good spirits and content. Best to him and his family. POD meant so much to me since my teens and I never was off board. Glad they back.

• Wax Synthetic said:

I agree with Sonny. This whole “too cool for school” behavior is because of the hipsters. Just standing there not moving, being like they’re above enjoying a show yet they still buy a ticket to get in.

Brooklyn changed. These dudes spoke the truth on this show. Murdered Love will be owned by me for sure.

• st al ke r said:

I’ll admit, I think Wuv adds the majority of (what I consider to be) the appeal of this band. I never liked anything before Satellite, and I thought Testify was amazing, due largely to there being a LOT of diversity and Jason Truby guitar going on, and some amazing vocals, all due to Wuv. A lot of that’s absent here on this new song, but this DOES have that cool diverse sound that POD’s always had.

I loved the spot by the way. A good listen and wish it was longer.

• Tugboat said:

I thought Testify was a great CD. I will admit that I prefer something with Truby, but this new track is just fun to listen to. To say that Marcos sucks is a bit much like you did two years ago. He stepped up when no one else wanted to. He’s a songwriter… it’s what he does. He is the reason they’re back together now.

• Pat Abad said:

I didn’t expect to like this single all that much. I kept thinking “who wants to hear another “Alive”? But I was pleasantly surprised, there is some absolutely amazing old school POD vibe yet evolution which is going to make for a great record.

• Anthony E said:

Pretty cool interview. I’m already gonna cop Murdered Love (Lost In Forever is a promising song), but now I’m gonna have to check out a live show if I can.

• LOCH NESS said:

I think Sonny has gone off the spiritual deep end but love their older stuff from the Southtown and Satellite days. Good spot too. Enjoyed the listen.

• MUST said:

Fantastic interview. This guy’s spirit is contagious. I hated them when they first came out and now that I’m a little older I kind of get the lyrics a bit more.