Home » Andrew Bilach, Filter, Music Interviews

Interview with Richard Patrick of Filter

7 March 2012 57 Comments

Richard Patrick of Filter screaming

Richard Patrick delivering a bloodcurdling scream.

All Knowing Force loves Filter. Our reporting is biased. We play favorites. We have an agenda. As far as we’re concerned, Richard Patrick can do no wrong.

The Trouble With Angels was promoted improperly. I blame Filter’s management and label. The band certainly did their due diligence by touring and making themselves available to media outlets.

ZZ Top and Richard Patrick of Filter

Richard Patrick with the legendary ZZ Top

Personally, I think everyone that worked the Trouble album cycle in an executive role should no longer have jobs in the music industry. We last spoke to Richard Patrick in the summer of 2010. At that time, we couldn’t get an answer from the label as to when the record would be released. There we sat, promoting what was arguably the best rock record of 2010, yet we couldn’t inform our audience as to when it could be acquired. And the best part – it was released two weeks later. Inexcusable.

We reconnected with Richard Patrick on March 6th, 2012 to discuss the current world of Filter. This is a solid 30 minute listen. There’s also a lot of talk about the current band members, as well as ones of the past. We’re happy to hear a new Filter record will be coming out in 2012. Really, what you’re going to get with this audio is a clear picture of Filter going forward. Check it out.

Filter rolls into the Gramercy Theater on Thursday, March 8th, 2012. They’re also playing at The Showboat in Atlantic City on Saturday, March 12th. If you’ve yet to experience Filter, you need to get to one of these shows.

You can listen to our interview with Richard Patrick by clicking here. If you’d like to save it, right click and Save As.

You can find out more about Filter on their official site.

I had no f***ing clue they were playing here tomorrow night.

Awful awful awful – NYC needs rock radio.

• Kreator said:

Rob Patterson is a douche. I’m glad he lost his spot.

Excellent show! Darius dude – what’s up with interrupting guests?

• 867-5309 said:

i’m curious, why those 3 songs for the youtube clips in this article

• Xpeld said:

Against better judgment I listened to this show and was surprised. Patrick is always ripe for some bizarre comments and so his negative and Andrew’s negative should have made a positive. For some reason both of these guys were tame and it was an enjoyable listen. I feel bad for Darius because he’s like a voice of reason despite talking over everyone constantly all of a sudden.

• Valparaiso said:

Oscar: I had no f***ing clue they were playing here tomorrow night.All of these veteran bands are making big big big errors. Promoting relentlessly on their FB but the problem is that only a select few ppl are on their FB. All the casual fans have no way to find this information.Awful awful awful – NYC needs rock radio.

I purposely pulled a Voice today and it was a tiny line of text. Had no clue either. Buy tix tmrw morning at Irving Plaza to save on fees.

867-5309:
    i’m curious, why those 3 songs for the youtube clips in this article

“My Life Before” is on the Trouble Deluxe. I’m surprised it didn’t make the record.

“Cold” is one of my favorites from Anthems that few casual fans have heard. The electronic version of this song on Remixes is great too.

“Captain Bligh” is one of the most awesome songs in the Filter catalog.

The goal here is to promote Filter. I know my audience. Believe me.

• SMASHERDEVOURER said:

GREAT INTERVIEW

I LIKE RICH’S PHILOSOPHIES REGARDING FILTER’S EVOLUTION WITH THE MEMBERS, HE USUALLY DOESN’T TALK MUCH ABOUT THIS STUFF

Good work!

This made my day. To quote Richard ‘It’s a good time to be in Filter.’

rock on!

• Crux said:

I didn’t even know the last CD was out until I saw Carmen Electra’s hot ass in a video on Youtube. Happy to know I now know when the next one is coming out. Companies really do nowadays almost nothing for there artists

Darius problem continues…

Excellent interview!!

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

Dennis,

To be fair, we had major time constraints with this interview and there were some vital points that we felt needed to be addressed. Richard is one of those guys you can sit down and have a beer (or in his case, milk) with and talk for hours, and I was nervous that we weren’t going to get to all of those points. Thankfully, we did and now we have a killer spot with one of the greatest frontmen in rock music.

I love Filter and am disgusted with the way The Trouble With Angels was handled. I’m thankful that Richard recognizes that as well and has made some changes that will hopefully lead this music to a greater audience.

ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius,

The same thing was done during the Dark New Day show. This has become a sudden problem and makes the shows hard to listen to. Andrew has curtailed his outlandish comments and they’ve been replaced by your rude interuptions.

• Vinny said:

I for one miss those outlandish comments. I miss the eating during interviews.

Oscar,

I had mentioned this during our recent show with Brett Hestla. I couldn’t agree with you more.

Kreator,

Rob Patterson isn’t the most likeable guy. He’s too busy #winning.

Dennis,

Interrupting guests is Darius’ new gimmick.

Xpeld,

I’m glad you enjoyed the show, even if your reasoning is a little suspect.

Vinny:
    I for one miss those outlandish comments. I miss the eating during interviews.

I will bring back the eating during a marathon show.

I don’t make “outlandish” comments. I speak what’s on my mind. The only reason you think what I say is “outlandish” is because so many people seek to play professional footsie.

IN REGARDS TO DARIUS…

I will address this in a comment post later tonight or tomorrow. I’ve received a lot of questions about it and I want to put some things to rest.

• Geo said:

Go back and listen to Anthems For The Damned again. Uncanny how that grows on you better than when it came out in 08. THat might be his best work even though he’ll never admit it.

• Chef said:

Let’s face it — the lyrics on TTWA were stupid. The Inevitable Relapse chorus is juvenile and has been done a million times over. Change that stupid chorus and lyrics, keep the music and write something intelligent and he’d have a hit. That sludgy Drug Boy too would have been stellar with some other lyrics. As a songwriter Richard is better than both those songs lyrically.

• Hyrule said:

I talk with Andrew on IM about Filter all the time. These AKF dudes are the real deal some of the nicest people on the net.

Cool to hear Richard talk about the band members for once.

• 911 Is A Joke said:

“Take This Knife Out Of My Back” is hardly a new concept.

Don’t kid yourself bc TTWA was a return to Short Bus that just didn’t work out. Now he’s trying to do it all over again with this one.

It’s not gonna work.

• Lord Of Acid said:

I was at the show in CT at Mohegan. That was bizarre as all hell. Still the band brought it but you’re right very cabaret.

Guys I enjoyed listening to this. I’m starting to get back into Filter. I haven’t listened to Amalgamut in about 8 years and will listen again at work. This stuff gets better with age which I can’t say about most stuff I listened to around that time.

**** Read this post if you listened to our show. ****

First of all, to the very small portion of you that did not like our interview with Richard Patrick, let me show you a bad interview with Richard Patrick. Let me show you Richard Patrick on terrestrial radio at an Albany rock station. THIS is a TERRIBLE interview. Annoying radio voice + knowing nothing about Filter + generic stupid talk = TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE.

I also wanted to quickly address some of the comments made about Darius in this post and the Dark New Day post. A lot of you asked for it, so here it is…

To be brutally honest, I don’t have much to say. I don’t care if we’re covering music or if we’re doing a show with someone who delivers newspapers for a living. Look, at the end of the day, this show will always have a true rock n’ roll mindset – the way it should be … that nothing is or ever will be perfect. And part of that lack of perfection morphs into charm. All Knowing Force celebrates our flaws. We don’t intend or attempt to be perfect. And truthfully, that’s why all of you that write comments, emails, and instant messages care about our product. Me coming on here and apologizing for Darius would be admitting something was wrong, and that certainly is not the case.

• Dominic said:

• Downsized said:

Promotion aside I think the album failed b.c it wasn’t that good.

I just listened to it for the first time after hearing your show and it sucks. Short Bus all the way.

• A. Estes said:

Hearing that Richard is hitting the studio has officially made my day. I’m also glad that this interview touched upon the commercial failure of TTWA. I’m with you guys; I think it should have been pushed harder and if there was any justice in this world, Filter would be a household name by now. I met Richard for the first time on the Bush/Chevelle tour and told him that he should have been the one headlining. He seemed to shy away from it and played it off as “Well, thanks for being a fan” but it is so true. No matter who he has playing with him, Richard Patrick and Filter will always be miles above what passes for hard rock these days.

• Short Bus said:

Sporadic listener. Often reader. First time commenter.

I’m H U G E Filter fan. Obsessed since Short Bus. I listen to everything Filter does: live performances, interviews, etc.

Thumbs up for having the balls to bring up the commercial failure of the last album. No one has done that before. All the recent interviews he’s done have sucked big time so thank you for doing something listenable that can relate to both the average fan and the hardcore fan.

Downsized:
    Promotion aside I think the album failed b.c it wasn’t that good.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Keep that in mind. But, if I’m releasing TTWA, No Love is the lead single. That’s not my personal favorite on the album, but it’s definitely the lead single.

Other than that, those in charge should have been able to work this properly.

• zebo said:

Oh contraire Andrew: I went back and listened to the first show you did with Filter in 2010 and you said your favorite song was No Re-entry if I’m not mistaken. Revisionist history with the No Love comment above. Everyone is a genius after the fact.

• Eliminator said:

Thank GOD they’re not paying that GOD AWFUL cover of Gimme All Your Lovin at recent live shows.

The new guitar player looks like a chick. I saw a photo he took with his phone with Richard behind him, looks like Richard is standing up spooning him or caressing his bony chest.

• 300 SV said:

zebo:

Nothing he says on the broadcasts every has cohesion so just take it with a graying of salt

• SMASHERDEVOURER said:

THIS NEW CD IS GONNA SUCK.

HE DID THIS ON THE LAST CD AND IT DIDNT WORK.

• 0 Vector said:

I’ve been a Filter fan since 95 but TTWA is awful. Now if you like mainstream junk you might find this album digestible but other than that it will give you some serious heartburn. High School quality garage band melodies and lyrics, a dash of Korn guitar riffs, a little auto-tune and a few ballads are not the recipe for a good album. Even after 4 or 5 listens I still throw up in my mouth a little each time. After this train wreck I would not be surprised if we hear from Filter again. Excuse me while I go get a couple of Tums. Just talking about it makes me ill.

zebo,

Thank you for the comment.

The only reason it appears this show has balls is because most other shows lack them. We’re talking to Richard Patrick of Filter. We’re fans of Richard Patrick and Filter. We support anything Richard does 100%. However, we wouldn’t be true to ourselves as a show and as fans if we didn’t address the commercial failure that was TTWA.

zebo,

There isn’t always parity between my favorite song on an album and what should be the lead single. Music is a business. What’s good for my ears isn’t necessarily good for business. Don’t forget that the two voices you hear on this show are products of that business.

300 SV,

The last time I checked, an on-air role on All Knowing Force wasn’t synonymous with science experiments. “Cohesion” isn’t the right road. Heck, “meritorious” would have been a better fit.

• Ned Car Racer said:

This Johnny dude seems like the chick that dates your best friend but steals him awya from the group. Why is Richard up his ass?

To the dude above me: I thought the same thing. All of a sudden this guy comes out of nowhere. Kill Hannah was the most chick thing ever and now he’s writing with Richard. Gimme a break.

• Wind Of Change said:

How do you know TTWA was a commercial failure? Sirius played the hell out of it for a while and they had big tours with Saliva and especially the Bush tour. What are you talking about dude?

• tyler said:

I bought TOR before I bought Short Bus…

I bought it coz of Welcome to the fold

but then, when hearing “its gonna kill me”, I knew that this was the best stuff I have ever heard

I played that song over and over and over the day i bought the CD….

just amazing….. i luv all Filter songs now…..

• A. Estes said:

Wind Of Change,

• StrmChsr said:

A. Estes: Wind Of Change, They were OPENING for Bush and playing WITH Saliva. That’s a commercial failure for a seasoned veteran like Richard no matter how you cut it.

You’re the dude that writes the reviews and I think they’re great so no disrespect with what I’m about to say.

I know I usually write in CAPS but theres a point to make here so NO YELLING. :)~

Bush is opening for Nickelback on an arena tour and not only that I think Seether is the direct support so Bush is second from the top. Don’t you think that means the last Bush CD was a commercial failure?

I don’t think opening for Bush was that bad even to be below Chevelle. Chevelle is on a major label and has been touring their butts off for years while Richard Patrick was in the depths of addiction.

The Saliva co-headline you can’t forget it was the midwest and people there are losers and like cookie cutter Saliva music. That tour didnt touch the east coast. Saliva never stopped either and while they were never stopping like Chevelle where was Richard Patrick? Getting sober.

So whether or not TTWA was “successful ” or not I still think the touring would have been the same.

I love Filter and in my heart I’ll always be an industrial girl. My love for the genre and bands like Skinny Puppy, Ministry and everyone else only grows with age.

I thought this album was pretty darn good when it came out. I listened and listened and my enjoyment disipated with each listen. This wasn’t Richard Patrick at his best. Quite possibly this wasn’t Richard Patrick. Maybe Bob Marlette had something to do with it because this is the first Filter album that seemed forced and contrived. The prior albums don’t get old because that’s Richard’s genius. This wasn’t.

Radio stations don’t want to play songs about drugs especially if you’re going for commercial rock. I know Darius talks about Sirius being a platform all the time but they’re not doing anything for anyone. Jose is, but Sirius isn’t selling tickets or albums.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

Carla:

Sirius has helped me discover many bands that receive zero airplay on terrestrial radio. This lead to me purchasing those bands’ records and tickets for their shows. I’ll admit that it isn’t the savior of the music industry but I also doubt I’m the only person that became a paying customer/fan of bands discovered on those satellite channels.

• zebo said:

You’re better off signing up for a Rhapsody subscription. I couldn’t live without Rhapsody.

I also think Darius got a raw deal in the comments in this thread and the Dark New Day. It happens. Get over it. This is the only audio show I can listen to.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

zebo:

I have Sirius and Rhapsody. The two go hand in hand. I won’t ever go on Rhapsody and just blindly click around, I feel like it’s not time well spent; I need some point of reference whether it’s a friends recommendation, a magazine or internet article, or…. Sirius radio. I often discover new bands on Sirius when I’m not geeking out to Stern and than go listen to their records, in their entirety (or EP or whatever is available) on Rhapsody. Than this leads to me purchasing the record for my car and iPod as well as tickets to their show whenever they’re in town. Both are phenomenal services that I’ve had for years and fully endorse.