Home » Darius, Dark New Day, Music Interviews

Interview with Dark New Day Vocalist Brett Hestla

28 February 2012 12 Comments

By: Darius

Dark New Day 2012 Band Photo

The Dark New Day saga is interesting. This is a band that formed under huge expectations, signed to a major record label and landed some decent press along with tours with Seether and Crossfade and also a video for their debut single, “Brother,” that was in constant rotation on Headbanger’s Ball. On the day of its release, I bought the record, titled 12 Year Silence, from a Best Buy in Falls Church, VA and tore through it like it was Christmas morning.

After all, Clint Lowery from one of my longtime favorite bands, Sevendust, was on this record, along with his brother Corey from Stereomud, Troy McLawhorn of DoubleDrive and Evanescence and drummer extraordinaire Will Hunt, who is seemingly playing for a new band every month. Brett Hestla of Virgos Merlot rounded out the group. Brett, as most people know, also toured with Creed as their bass player for a number of years. Dark New Day held an abundance of talent, to say the least.

Unfortunately, despite this abundance of talent and a solid debut record, things didn’t quite pan out the way that they’d hoped. Tour support dried up, radio didn’t take to the second single, and record sales weren’t as high as anyone had hoped. A second album was made and subsequently shelved by the label, who stood to lose money by releasing it, or so they felt. That record, Hail Mary, can now be found on YouTube.

After several years on hiatus and the band members focusing on various other projects, they returned to record a proper follow-up album to 12 Year Silence and landed a new home in Goomba Music. The record is called New Tradition and it is available for purchase now. The first single, also titled “New Tradition,” is tearing it up at Sirius Radio.

I have the album and will state that it is unequivocally better than 12 Year Silence. In my opinion, it’s not even close. I think 12 Year Silence was not as good as I had wanted it to be. My expectations were through the roof with that record. However, New Tradition is more than solid; it’s a follow-up record that should make Dark New Day proud and hopefully provide some closure as well, considering their unceremonious departure from Warner Brothers. Most importantly though, the fans of this band should be thrilled to finally hear new Dark New Day music. That’s what it’s about!

Brett joined our show this week and we talked about everything Dark New Day. He’s a cool guy and also has a pretty excellent taste in music. In this interview, he recommended the band Failure, who we’ve never heard of and put out a few records back in the 90s. I’m listening to Fantastic Planet now and all I can say is “Wow.” I’m purchasing this record today. Thank you Brett for the recommendation.

Anyway, please check out the new Dark New Day record, New Tradition. My favorite songs are “Sunday,” “Come Alive” and “Fiend.” Cross your fingers for some shows as well if the band members can make it fit their hectic schedules. I know if they’re playing within a couple hours drive of where I stand, I’ll be there. \

Listen to our conversation with Brett here. If you want to save it, right click and Save As.

Dark New Day – Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, FanBridge

• SMASHER DEVOURER said:

DARIUS……PLEASE DO NOT SPEAK OVER THE GUESTS.

• 12 stones said:

Let the dude speak Darius. I just started the file and you’re talking all over him.

• zebo said:

New Tradition doesn’t stand a chance. They’re not gonna tour on it especially with Clint doing 7D for two years after this new album comes out.

It’s better then the first though. I agree with Darius on that.

yeah dude, if you’re going to ask questions, you have to let people answer them

The media always says Hestla is ex-Virgos Merlot. I would always think I was the only one that heard of them. Seriously like no one ever heard of Myles Kennedy’s old band Mayfield Four. What’s next? Guys claiming “ex-Johnny Bravo”.

New Tradition is about a 7 out of 10. If you like rock on the heavier side I’d pick it up. Ain’t nothing more to it than that.

• DryKill said:

The wheel isn’t going to be reinvented at this stage of the game. Dark New Day for sure would excel in a live setting which is something we won’t see on New Tradition. This one is going to die.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

My bad guys; I definitely was a little overeager on this one.

KARNOV:
    yeah dude, if you’re going to ask questions, you have to let people answer them

The show got awkward in spots. I agree totally. The only thing that came out of the time I spent on this was learning of the band Failure. Dark New Day never was or will be anything special. Generic rock.

• Splinter said:

It was awkward when Darius kept talking over Brett.

Why is Dariuses audio different?

I commented on the Filter article about the show tmrw and when the f*ck did this come out?

I didnt even know this project was still together!!!

• Xpeld said:

Was it edited this way or did the guy keeping not letting Brett speak?

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

Xpeld,

I can settle for editing (or too much coffee). Seriously though, the new Dark New Day is a welcome addition to my music collection.