Home » Music Interviews

JOSE MANGIN from SIRIUS XM Interview Archived!

2 November 2010 33 Comments

By: Darius

Jose Mangin of Sirius XM live on stage

Jose Mangin

Tonight’s guest was Jose Mangin, host and programmer of the two premier heavy music radio stations in the world: Octane and Liquid Metal on Sirius XM satellite radio. This interview was a real treat for us, as it should be for those of you listen: this man lives, eats, breathes, and sleeps this music. He embodies it like no one I have talked to in my entire life. It’s a real testament to his affable nature, his infectious enthusiasm, and his genuine love for the industry that he calls so many artists ranging from Machine Head to Metallica his friends.

In this interview, we went for over 90 minutes and let Jose do what he does best: talk about music.

* We learned about the very beginnings of Sirius when Jose learned about the company through a pamphlet and was soon laughed at by family and friends for going to work for the company when people didn’t pay for things like radio and bottled water.
* We learned about how Jose’s unparalleled passion and dedication to the music and to the company, along with his natural gift of gab, lead to his current position, where he actually makes decisions about what songs get airplay and what doesn’t, despite the wishes of the record label at any given time.
* We talked about satellite radio as a viable entertainment choice in an ever-changing consumer marketplace.
* We talked about Jose’s favorite bands, old and new.

For those of you who have never heard Jose on the air, you are truly missing out. It’s impossible to not get sucked into his passion for the music. James Hetfield, in a glowing tribute to Jose, name-checked him in a Rolling Stone interview and referred to him as a “firecracker”. Listen to this interview, and you’ll see he what he meant.

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth and Jose Mangin of Sirius XM at Sirius XM headquarters in New York City

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth and Jose Mangin

Octane (hard rock) and Liquid Metal (face-melting heavy metal) are just two of dozens and dozens of stations on Sirius XM satellite radio. I have been a subscriber for over 5 years now and I can’t live without it. Most people that try it out feel the same way. The music stations have no commercials, their sports stations are incredible, the comedy and news stations can’t be beat, and there is no censorship whatsoever. The company has made their amazing product available in many different formats so you can enjoy it in the car, on your iPhone, at work on the computer, in the home, wherever you like for the most part. They have a wide variety of packages available but the standard is $12.95 a month. For me, it’s a small price to pay for the ridiculous amount of entertainment I get.

You can also sample the product for free, via the internet, for a 30 day trial. Just click SIRIUS Satellite Radio and sign up (once there, go to Listen Online at the top. Once you do, make sure you check out Jose Mangin on Sirius Octane and Liquid Metal. The man waves the heavy metal flag prouder than anyone else in the business, and we’re all better off for it.

You can listen to the raw, uncut conversation here, or you can download it by right clicking and then selecting Save As.

The passage below is the write-up on All Knowing Force prior to the show

“Tonight, Jose Mangin, programmer for Liquid Metal and Octane on Sirius XM Radio as well as an ass-kicking, high-wired DJ throughout the week, is our guest this evening. We are BEYOND excited. This man does so much for the industry that we love and if you are a Sirius XM subscriber, you will have to agree that he is one of the most likable personalities in the history of radio. His energy is infectious and shows no limitations.

We’re not talking about Adam Curry putting on a leather jacket and pretending to be metal during the early days of Headbanger’s Ball. No sir, Jose Mangin embodies heavy music and waves the flag proudly. Honestly, we need more people like him to help break bands, to get others motivated, and to continue to promote heavy music in such an honest way.

This is going to be a good one folks. Tune in.”

I’m not kissing a$$ but all I can say is if more industries had dudes like this steering their ship, American business would be thriving.

I’m going to check out this Liquid Metal with the free trial. I’m sold.

100 straight shows with a Sevendust mention.

• Brian Doran said:

I can’t live without Liquid Metal. That’s my advertisement for the product.

• BORNCLOSER said:

Is there a way to listen to Sirius in the car without having the satellite radio installed?

Does anyone have any arguments opposing Sirius? These two tend to go on marketing campaigns which leads them to torture us with this Sevendust crap week in week out.

I wish you guys would have delved more into the radio business side of things. I know Andrew tried in the beginning but was given a generic answer.

This dude is bad ass and I think it’s awesome you all are able to do AKF from opposite coasts.

Love the Sevendust review on the main page from the HOB show.

@5150: …and 3 people would have listened and all that downloaded would have x’d out of their media player in seconds. You can’t please everyone. You should know that.

• RiotRiotRiot said:

Dudes, this guy annoys the shit out of me. Happy dudes just make me want to gouge my eyes out. Almost happy to a fake level. He’s got passion tho so I respect that.

Andrew, what the fuck is wrong with you dude? I hear you stumbling knowing what you want to ask the guy and you don’t get it out. Flat out ask him who those fucking bands are and stop becoming the bitch you’ve become.

• godblessya said:

@RiotRiotRiot: Agreed. Stop this pussyfooting ass kissing bullshit you’ve been doing lately. You should have asked him what bands he thinks sucks. If Jose wants to say he bitch slapper a label guy’s wishes he could certainly air this dirt. AKF has become pussy.

• mAAT said:

I THINK HE JUS TRYIN 2 BE RESPECFUL OF SOME1 ELSE IN RADIO MEN, LEAVE IT ALLONE!

• godblessya said:

@mAAT: You are in no position to dictate moral behavior when you type like dyslexic retarder preschool kid.

• OhCrap said:

@godblessya: @mAAT: Jose is a God Of Metal and both you losers are “retarder”

I love Jose Mangin! I do tend to listen to both Liquid Metal and the coffee house station. I’m a girl.

• SMASHERDEVOURER said:

UPLOAD THE DAMN INTERVIEW ALREADY? WHY DOES IT ALWAYS TAKE YOU 10 YEAR TO DO THINGS?

Sick anecdote there about you and your Dad. Those days are precious. Wish my pops was alive to do something like that with him.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

@SMASHERDEVOURER:

ya i look back on that trip and smile man. i was really nervous about it (driving across the country 1 on 1) beforehand b/c even though i love my dad to pieces, we agree on very little when it comes to music and entertainment in general. having Sirius in the car was a godsend and made the long hours fly by. it ended up being really fun!

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

@BORNCLOSER:

you can have an external tuner (like i have). you can even buy older models for cheaper on ebay if you need to save a few bucks. if that doesn’t work for you, you could use your iPhone and then connect it to your car stereo which so many people do these days.

• FxBLeSSeD said:

@ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius: My Dad and I drove from Chicago to Dallas when I moved down here so I completely understand. I spent several years working in radio in the Midwest before coming down here to bartend at friend’s restaurant. My father didn’t agree with that decision but now we have two locations, I get paid well, love what I do and it’s all good. We bonded during that drive over baseball. I had the same feelings you did and we got through it. It brought us much closer.

• FxBLeSSeD said:

@ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius: I listen through my iphone. I admit Darius though that Sirius needs to do a better job of educating consumers about their product. All my buds that got into my truck were like dude, i thought you needed a special radio for that. I know it’s a world of apps but they need to really change the perception so most people check them out. The content is there but they need to market better. I notice all this orgasm over Sevendust happened when you joined the show.

I worked Deftones for many years when I was with Maverick. There wasn’t any amount of schooling that could have prepared me for that gig. You have to be passionate about anything you do if you want to excel. It’s so cliche but so accurate and true.

As for what Darius said during the show, regardless of how he feels towards his Dad, that’s a drive he’ll remember for the rest of his life. As our parents get older and our time with them lessens, we have to cherish those moments.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Darius said:

@Carla:

that’s the honest to goodness truth. we went 3 loooong days together in the car, which can be tough on any two people. unfortunately, my dad and i aren’t going to find much common ground in entertainment to cover the insane amount of quality time that this trip entailed. Sirius radio saved it, the trip was actually a lot of fun, and i’ll never forget it as long as i live.

• crazybabies said:

i agree with drew 100%. the reason this filter cd is doing poorly is because inevitable relapse is the wrong single. the second i heard it i thought of mike patton’s peeping tom single for mojo. as jose said, the world is pissed and over drugs. drugs are no longer cool and in vogue even if richard is singing as a former addict. good song wrong single.

i cant believe jose busted out the paying for bottled watter analogy. that is as corporate as it gets. a marketing mgr at my job said that at a conference a month ago. such a very dick way to answer a question even though jose wasn’t being a dick.

i cant live without my sirius. i coudlnt get thru work without it. i rock my sirius and rhapsody. w/o them i’d be lost.

• PrdDvsn said:

You should have spoken to Jose about that fat slob Marcos Curiel that stiffed you guys.

• Mercer said:

Jose is dickhead. I tried to say What’s Up to him at a show two years ago and he just blew me off. He was just standing at the bar. This whole bring everyone to the party is just a bunch of bullshit. Don’t speak about “corporate” decisions when you buy into it too. Sirius will not exist in 5 years.

• Task 77 said:

Adam Curry was the most sickening VJ ever. He annoyed me more than Jesse Camp. Remember that crackhead? Ian Robinson was a pile of lard too. Jose eats these people.

• eyeLOVEyouALL said:

I hate seeing some of you talk negatively about Andrew. I talk to him all the time thru IM and e-mail and the guy is the real deal. The issue with him is he’s jaded and see things too much for the way they are, which only works if others involved share the same sentiment. I’m not saying this works against him but it certainly makes him interesting.

One of the best bands he ever turned me onto was a band called Kill Cheerleader. If any of you have Rhapsody, check out their All Hail CD. Too bad the band is in jail or dead.

This spot with Jose was mad cool. Never heard of him before tonite and am going to check out the free trial.

On a recent show, you said Darius would be buying everyone beers at Europa if something happened. Europa? That dump in Greenpoint down the block from the police station. I’d rather sit on a rusty nail then go there.

• RaxNStax said:

I get a kick out of the fact this dude thinks these people are his friends. Watch how fast these “friends” disappear when Sirius goes Bye Bye.

That said, Jose is God and Loquid Metal rules. Get ya some.

• ALL KNOWING FORCE: Andrew Bilach said:

@1942: …and 101 is coming next week.

@BORNCLOSER: Darius answered your question in a comment he left earlier.

@5150: I wanted to dive into it but could tell he was going to give me politically correct answers. There isn’t anything wrong with that.

@RiotRiotRiot: I’ve been getting this criticism quite a bit lately. It’s fairly accurate. I have a final say in everything regarding the show, but Darius wants things done a certain way, at times. I listen to what he has to say and make adjustments. I respect his opinions, although I don’t always agree.

@crazybabies: Let me give you a little lesson on Business 101. Most, if not all of it, is BS. Believe it from 9-5, and after hours, laugh at yourself.

————

In regards to Darius’ story about driving across the country with his father, I think that’s amazing. In life, we all have a lot of regrets, and spending quality time with parents is priceless. I’m fairly lucky. 3 of my 4 grandparents are still alive. My parents are alive. Thinking back on things, I still can have a time like Darius had with these family members, and if I don’t act on it while they’re here, I’ll always regret it. This has definitely had a positive effect on me and I even scheduled a dinner with my my father’s parents because of it. Sometimes, you have to reflect and spend time with those that love you unconditionally.

• darius said:

@eyeLOVEyouALL:

that Kill Cheerleader album is awesome. as for the bar that i may or may not be buying beers for everyone: Rope… not Europa. Europa blows. Rope is a really cool bar in Fort Greene.

• Novato said:

@darius: Europa is the worst club in NYC. The “stage” is about 4 inches off the ground. Picture a stage in a boiler room in a neighborhood of all Polish people.

@darius: I recently moved out of Fort Greene and went to Rope once or twice. It’s your classic hipster dive with a cool little jukebox. The bartender chick in their was one of those chicks that has super short bangs. Hot, but would never be able to nail her because of that ridiculous doo on her dome.

Wait!

Brian Fair meets his future wife in a grocery store.

Jose Mangin gets his gig primarily after writing a book to some station manager.

Default by some miracle has a platinum album.

These three items from the last two weeks are a combination of sickening and inspring.

I used to work from a promotions company based out of Brooklyn and we wanted to hold a sponsored event at an accessible club in the boro. Figured Europe was it – centrally located, right off the BQE, close to the city, public transportation and all that jazz. I called the place and spoke to Magda. I’ll never forget it because in successive calls I spoke to 4 different girls, all with different voices, all claiming to be Magda. That place is shady and hires these illegal off the boat Polish broads. Pure dump. If free drinks on Darius was held there I wouldn’t go even if I had a female mouth attached to my dick from entry to exit.

• Sunkissed49 said:

Fabulous show boys.

• Why said:

Love you guys! Love Jose! Great show!

• flood damage glendale said:

I hope due to stop! This is one of the best blogs Ive ever read through. Youve got some angry skill here, man. I just hope that you dont lose your design because youre definitely one of several coolest bloggers out furthermore there. Please keep it up as the internet needs someone such as you spreading the word.