Home » Bands, Dirge Within, Music, Music Interviews

Shaun Glass of Dirge Within – Interview Posted

5 October 2010 22 Comments

Dirge Within’s debut release, Force Fed Lies, was one of my favorite releases of 2009. The band managed to craft am album that emphasized heavy, without abandoning hooks or melodic sensibility. If you haven’t checked it out, head over to our free music page, where you can download the entire album for free.

The first half of the show focused on the years that followed the release of Force Fed Lies. We talked extensively about their tours with Fear Factory, Static-X, Trivium, and Gwar. The second half of the show revolved around general discussion, and touched on topics such as the direction of the music industry, the dying art of the album and much more.

Dirge Within is currently writing for their next release, expected to be released in 2011.

You can stream or download (right click, save as) the interview here.

I was listening live the first time AKF had him on. Where are my points for being a loyal listener?

• to-the-right said:

I met Shaun once when he was in Soil. He was a complete dick to me. He seemed too busy to talk. I was never a fan from that point forward.

• budbundy said:

I bet you he’s laughing so hard at Soil right now.

• thedisciple said:

Looking forward to it!

E1 dropped the ball with these guys. Saw them w/ Trivium. Nothing that will break new ground but solid nonetheless!

• Brian Doran said:

The show dragged at the beginning. Who wants to hear all that talk about this band?

I agree with Shaun’s views. It’s refreshing to hear someone not only acknowledge the problem but present a way to fix it.

• Laura In NJ said:

How many things in Andrew’s mind are the worst ever? Everything he doesn’t like is the worst ever.

@Laura In NJ: You took the words right out of my mouth!

Where does Darius work?

• Embrujo said:

these dirge bands is one of best in the worldd of today new bands, hope them to mexico soon!

i listen second part live show tonite, thx for all

• GraceOfGod said:

I would bring St. Anger to the island. Transgression was utter garbage. The Killing Joke and U2 covers were pathetic.

The Force Fed Lies album cover sucks.

RIP Static-X

• Jeff Archer said:

Shaun knows Gong burned a shitload of bridges and couldn’t man up to that.

When your two signings are Rikets and AM Conspiracy, expect to fail.

I like the concept of the music industry’s future. That’s somethint that could work. Only digital?

As Andrew stated, in the fabulous 50’s everything was single-driven, and the album concept was merely a collection of those singles. Ain’t it funny? With all this technology, people still buy and read books, one of the oldest forms of media. The recording industry might revert back 50+ years. Think about it.

Shaun said they did more in merch sales on Gwar than Trivium and Fear Factory. A betting woman who has been in this biz for ever would have put her money on Trivium.

@Laura In NJ: There is only black and white – no shades of grey to Andrew. Darius seems to fall in the same category. Everything is either the worst ever or the best ever. Haha.

Note: You should all check out the Soundgarden review Darius wrote in the featured section. Great stuff!

• Sean D said:

The new Soil singer looks like a chubby version of that guy that used to sing for Union Underground. They’re a cover band of themselves.

Put this show up already!

• Reach said:

Force Fed Lies is an incredibly bad ass riff fueled raging record.

• Macklin said:

Just picked this up used on Amazon. I skipped on these dudes durin the FF tour. Solid American heavy music. Get it somehow.

When will the show be up?

• Murderer said:

I agree. The best song on this disc is Confession. I just listened to it and everything is perfect.

Self Medicate blows. That gang vocal thing is terrible.

Spit and Stain of Humanity are cool too.

Transgression is better than St. Anger by the way.

• Greg Fast said:

Entertaining interview. Thsnk you for posting.

If I was on a deserted island and Soil’s last release had the key to getting of that island, I wouldn’t open the case to get the key.

That is the biggest pile of garbage.

Scars had some good grooves. Redefine wasn’t genuine. True Self was ignored. Picture Perfect plainly sucks.

OFF*

• godblessya said:

If you want to talk about Soil in 2010, a band in Dallas is doing Soil right now.

St. Anger is prolly the worst CD ever created. I recall all the hype. I went to the record store at midnight. By the time 5am rolled around I felt like a tool. They should never cop to releasing that pile of garbage.

5FDP will be off everyone’s radar in 3 years.

I would rather take Transgression to the island.

I don’t think it’s smart for this band to stay with E1. They’re signing a bunch of talent and Dirge will just fall to the side.

• Convo said:

I FUCKING LOVE THIS BAND! THANKS FOR TURNING ME ON TO THEM! I SKIPPED THEM ON TRIVIUM!