Home » 36 Crazyfists, Bands, Music, Music Interviews

Great Conversation with Brock Lindow of 36 Crazyfists! Awesome Interview! Posted!

24 August 2010 17 Comments

36 Crazyfists

On any given night, we could do a several hour-long interview with Brock Lindow. As far as this conversation goes, it happened at the end of August. Hopefully, it’s only a year or so before we do it again. I was going to try and fit as many 36 Crazyfists references in the write-up as possible. Let’s see how that goes.

The band is from Alaska. If you don’t know that, you’ve never been exposed to 36 Crazyfists. Every media article and every review, will let you know that a thousand times over. It shows they did their geographical research. We started our conversation on Alaska, which Brock said was his favorite place in the world, and he never gets tired of talking about it. By the way, the band is from Alaska.

We talked about the recent tour they did with Fear Factory, which Brock said went well. A little jab was taken at Fear Factory, as we asked about their catering. Burton C. Bell aside, there are some big boys in Fear Factory. Brock brought up an excellent point about trying to run a tour through the summer that competes with the touring festivals. Darius spoke about seeing the Fear Factory/36 Crazyfists tour in Los Angeles.

The conversation then moved to DRT Entertainment, the label that released Rest Inside The Flames. This is one of the worst labels in the history of music that dropped the ball on so many excellent albums. Brock then spoke about how 36 Crazyfists took Bullet For My Valentine on their first tour.

We talked about servicing songs to radio. Brock talked about going back into the studio to re-record the chorus to “Bloodwork” to make it suitable for airplay. He said this was against everything he believed in. Ultimately, the song was never serviced to radio.

I then went on to praise Brock’s vocal style.

We talked about bands that we enjoyed in past years, but can’t listen to today. Korn came up. Staind came up. The last Chris Cornell solo album was mentioned as well.

We talked about the new Soundgarden track “Black Rain.”

Brock said Deftones are one of their major influences. We all praised the band and agreed Chino currently looks incredibly handsome. Lots of Deftones talk. And by the way, I was wrong about something. Rivers Cuomo did not have a hand in “Back To School.” I was thinking of “Stupid Girl” by Cold.

We talked about their recent nine day headlining tour with Dirge Within and Straight Line Stitch. We also spoke about their first ever United States headlining tour coming up in the fall.

Brock’s daughter was crying throughout the show, so I felt it necessary to ask him how he deals with the noise. He says becoming a father is the best thing to ever happen to him.

We finally decided to talk about the new record Collisions And Castaways.

We talked a little about Alice In Chains. Says that Layne Staley is probably his favorite singer of all-time. He praises William Duvall.

We talked about Disturbed.

We wrapped

Collisions And Castaways is available now on Ferret Music.

Listen to the audio from our live show here.

You can further check out the band on their official myspace.

• Uriah Heep said:

I agree with Andrew. I like the last CD more but this is a more complete album. I know that doesn’t make sense and it didn’t make sense hearing it during the show. I guess that was the only way to describe it. I encourage everyone to grab this because it’s worth the money.

How’s this for solid grammar and punctuation? :)

• anon said:

Between Richard Patrick and Brock Lindow you have back-to-back “conversations” with some of the most unique voices in rock.

The new 36CF is darn good. It doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it keeps it on turnin’.

• breathe4 said:

I never knew they took B4MV out on their first tour.

I saw them on the Kittie tour and with Napalm Death/Devildriver. They didn’t fit in on the latter.

• bash said:

I was at their headline show in Denver and MAYBE 150 ppl there. It was a few weeks ago, weeknight.

Turnout was expected. Great show. Lindow’s stage energy is fucking off the charts.

Why is there always a pinch of homosexuality added in to AKF shows?

No write up yet. Shocking. (sarcastic)

• sailor moon said:

The soundtrack of the baby crying was very …how do you say it.. unique. Love these guys! Great spot y’all.

• gnusmas said:

36CF don’t float my boat. Can’t stomach Lindow’s vocals. Listened to this audio on a whim. Bored at work. Prob some of the most “flowing” audio on the site. Such a fun listen. Live shows are better. Good works gentlemen.

I really enjoyed this interview. The hour went by so fast.

Disturbed is not the worst band in heavy metal. I’m not the biggest Disturbed fan but to say they’re the worst is ignorant.

Brock seems like a cool dude. I just might check them out on this headlining run. We’ll see how goes it.

• waterboy said:

I DON’T WANT ANYONE TO TAKE THIS AND RUN THE WRONG WAY WITH IT.

If I’m 7D or 36CF I’m pretty bummed to see some of my contemporaries eclipse my popularity. Almost curtain jerking on this Carnival Of Madness Tour is absurd for 7D. 36CF are some of the coolest dudes in music and Brock is the most approachable guy you’ll meet.

I hope they will one day both receive the respect they deserve.

Great spot but didn’t enjoy the Jersey bashing. Some of us are from the “disgusting” state.

• godblessya said:

I think you have it wrong Andrew. I listed to the new one three times and have to second what anon says above. It doesn’t reinvent the wheel but I can’t hold that against the band because I don’t think they were trying to go that route. Their CD’s don’t sound different. You could take any track off Bittnerness and put it on any of the other albums and it would fit. You were stretching there. The interview was solid but I wanted to comment on that.

• Caliban said:

The new album doesn’t stand up to the previous four. Worth the money but nothing special. I listened to the interview life and my favorite part was when the conversation shifted outside of 36cf.

• 225-214 said:

“Jersey” was not bashed in the interview. Learn to take a joke. Anyways your state sucks balls so get used to it.

• Mad36CFFan said:

Every 36CF album as evolved changing in style and genre (only in part). From ITS to C&C there is a vast difference. Blessyagod to say that you can take a very nu-metal song from BTS and put it in any 36CF album would be wrong. 36CF albums always flow from start to finish. A song from BTS in ASCR would sound out of place and ruin the flow of the album. :) peace keep supporting the best band ever!!!

• tyler said:

I picked this up because it came highly recommended from AKF.

It was what I would have expected. Great album but isn’t going to do anything to forward their career.

• Hang said:

Everyone above it right. I picked this up. Just another 36CF CD. Great.

• Heartbreaker said: