Home » Bands, Burning Brides, Music, Music Interviews

Interview with Burning Brides Frontman and Co-Founder Dimitri Coats

25 September 2009 19 Comments

By: Darius

Burning Brides

Burning Brides

**Note: We apologize for some of the audio trouble. Darius and I are now on two separate coasts and getting everything in order is taking a bit of time.

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Burning Brides for the umpteenth time at the legendary Viper Room on the Sunset Strip two Friday before this interview. For those of you unfamiliar with the band, I highly recommend checking them out on their MySpace. Lead by husband and wife team of Dimitri and Melanie Coats and an absolute beast of a drummer in Jeff Watson, Burning Brides have released 4 incredible albums and have shared the stage with everyone from The White Stripes, to A Perfect Circle, to Mastodon.

I have been a longtime fan of the band and will never skip an opportunity to see them live. After releasing albums on independent and major labels, they are a currently a DIY act. Last year’s Anhedonia was self-released and I can’t say enough good things about it. It’s fantastic. Just check out “Flesh and Bone” and if you tell me that riff isn’t making your head spin, you’re out of your mind. Go listen to The Fray.

Burning Brides Live Shot

Burning Brides Live Shot

Burning Brides frontman Dimitri Coats joined us live on Tuesday, September 29th and we talked about everything from their major label experiences to touring with everyone from the White Stripes to Marilyn Manson, Maynard, and everyone in between. Everything from being a married couple in a band to his current movie roles. Dimitri was recently cast in a vampire movie so we touched on that as well.

You can view some of their videos below. You can also stream or download our interview by clicking HERE.

Or, if you want to check out Burning Brides for free – yes, for free – and download some of their records legally, visit our free music page. Albums available for download are Anhedonia, Leave No Ashes, and Fall Of The Plastic Empire.

• SMASHERDEVOURER said:

WHO IS THE LITTLE BOY IN THE TOP PHOTO

I hope the poster above me is not a dude.

I’m not focused on the other guy but Dmitri in that photo looks like a breeding of Rick Allen and Rick Savage.

He looks like old school Raven from ECW.

I just received the e-mailer. I have to say that this band could have gone on to bigger and better things. I picked up Leave No Ashes in a bargain bin of a CD shop in New Jersey last year It’s an underrated album. What happened to this band?

• Vinny said:

…and with the kings Fu Manchu at Bowery Ballroom in New Jork? Ach kem!

• Andrew Bilach (author) said:

I was at that show too, Vin. I wish I knew you were there. You could have bought me a drink. I was drinking water that night.

I’ll tell a quick story tomorrow about Darius’ reaction to potentially missing Burning Brides at that show.

Since when did All Knowing Force visitors become so interested in appearance?

• mAAT said:

SINCE YOU STARTED TALKING ABOUT HOW GUYS HAVE TO BE HOT TO BE FRONMENN

Can someone remove this idiot from the site? He has been poisoning it for 18 months.

I never heard of this band.

• Moosey said:

Rocky Horror Picture Show anyone?

• yiggernes said:

i agree with everyone, but Rocky Horror is a stretch

never heard of them, gonna take a listen

I’ve seen this band live accidentally twice but have never listened to their albums. They put on a good live show. I didn’t even know Fu Manchu was here in the last few years.

I’ll check out their new one. I hope it’s on Rhapsody.

• zebo said:

Where was this band my entire life? They need to update their myspace player. I found better stuff on Youtube. Def check these guys and gal out!

I second that. I’m liking what I’m hearing.

• Jeff Archer said:

I am LOVING what I’m hearing and it is a TRAVESTY I was never aware of this band up until tonight. Darius was trying to be serious in the audio and Andrew was asking question not related to the music. AKF has become very bipolar and in a twisted way I like it.

Moby. Hahahahahaha!

• cupofjoe said:

It’s freaky you spoke to the Brides because between them and Stereomud I thought both should have been bigger and always said this to people. I can’t classify the Brides so maybe that’s why they haven’t worked just yet. Labels, labels, labels – genres, genres, genres.

• darius said:

After seeing the above videos, make sure you check out:

Ring Around The Rosary
    At The Levity Ball
    King of the Demimonde
    If One Of Us Goes Further
    Your Nation Will Die
    To Kill A Swan
    Love Sick
    Arctic Snow

• SongBird said:

I’m trying to build my vinyl collection. Did they release anything on vinyl?

Good show.