Home » Dangerous New Machine, Music Interviews, Stereomud

Conversation with Erik Rogers of Dangerous New Machine (ex-Stereomud)

30 July 2009 29 Comments

By: Andrew Bilach

Dangerous New Machine

Dangerous New Machine

Before I begin, I’d like to let you know you can legally download and keep both Stereomud records by clicking . Or, to listen to the other artists you can download legally, for free, visit this page of our site.

It’s July. It’s hot. It’s humid. Autumn can’t come soon enough. With that said, I’m in a pretty good mood. Darius and I conducted an hour-long interview with Dangerous New Machine’s Erik Rogers, who you might remember as the frontman of Stereomud. Oh wait, should I have gone into music journalist mode and called them “alt-metal” to sound sophisticated? For those unaware, Stereomud was a hard rock band and they were damn good. I had the pleasure of seeing them several times, most notably on the first installment of the Music As A Weapon Tour at both the Convention Hall in disgusting Asbury Park, New Jersey, and at Hammerstein Ballroom.

Anyone who saw this tour remembers that in order to see Stereomud, you had to sit through Adema to get to Drowning Pool and Disturbed. I’d rather have an intelligent conversation with the clown in Slipknot than listen to an Adema record. Marky Chavez, their first frontman, is just a rung below Josey Scott on the annoyance scale. The entire band looked ridiculous. Google yourself a photo of this catastrophe and see for yourself. I’d embed one but this isn’t about Adema. I was just voicing some opinions. Erik has toured with Crazy Town, (hed)pe, and Saliva. I’m sorry, Erik. Oh, and if you listen to any of those bands – kill yourself.

Perfect Self came out on my 21st birthday, and I ended up borrowing the album from a friend’s girlfriend. I always hated the cover art, and it’s something I wanted to ask Erik about during our conversation, but it slipped my mind. It was a solid release, just like their 2003 follow-up, Every Given Moment. As far as I’m concerned, Every Given Moment is the better of the two records. I’m definitely in the minority, but keep in mind, it’s my opinion, and “better” is always subjective. By the way, my favorite track on that record, and my favorite Stereomud track, is Yesterday. Stereomud disbanded three months after the release of Every Given Moment. I always wondered what really happened, and this interview answered all my questions. It’s sad, because Stereomud had a wealth of potential, and as you’re about to see, some bad business decisions were the nail in the coffin.

I’m still shaking my head that Stereomud was denied a tour with Godsmack as direct support and a co-headlining run with Stone Sour – for no good reason. And, just trying to process that their label funding was yanked because Columbia wanted to get behind Memento is impossible. Never heard of them? Good. Neither have I. Oh wait, Darius has heard of them, which is why he’d bust them out after drinking six PBR’s at Rope in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Just taking a small stab at my boy from Georgia.

The conversation Darius and I had with Erik will appeal to everyone, not just his personal fans, not just fans of Stereomud, and not just people looking to investigate Dangerous New Machine. Over the years I heard only positive things about Erik from his peers and fellow musicians. After this “interview” I can definitely affirm those assertions are accurate. You’ll walk away from this interview going back in time to revisit Stereomud, exploring Dangerous New Machine, and most of all, wanting to support this phenomenal artist.

*As of Wednesday, August 5th, 2009, Stereomud has scanned 145,813 copies of Perfect Self and 31,510 copies of Every Given Moment.

**Please excuse any minor audio troubles. This interview is brought to you uncut and uncensored.

1nterview: 60 Mins – Click to Stream or Right Click to Save-As

Dangerous New Machine on MySpace

• cupofjoe said:

I’m looking forward to the audio! I listened to some bland interview on their Myspace a few days ago. When I read you guys were speaking with him, I knew I’d get the answers I wanted. This band **SHOULD** have been HUGE. Stereomud that is.

I haven’t heard the audio yet.

My best guess is they prerecorded it but I’ve heard Burn and all Erik did was rewrite Pain. It’s the same song. You’d think after this many years he could come up with something different.

Everyone gets on Chad Kroger’s case for writing the same song 500 times! Wake up cause everyone else is doing it too. I do hope Chad Krogers gets smothered though.

HUGE STEREOMUD FAN FROM DAYS GONE BY! LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING WHAT YOU PULLED OUT OF HIM. I MET HIM ONCE AND HE WAS AN AWESOME DUDE.

• mATT said:

DIS NIGGUH LOOKS LIKE CM PUNK FROM WWE

• Das Blutes said:

Perfect Self was a hot little number back in the day. I didn’t even know they released the other album. The last peep I heard was on a wrestling album. He does look alot like CM Punk. The above poster is right.

• SUiCiDE MeSSiaH said:

1942′s entire post is everything I wanted to say. ‘Nuff said.

• SMASHERDEVOURER said:

SAW THEM ON MUSIC AS A WEAPON AND WERE DARN GOOD. HATE TO SAY IT BUT THAT WAS A GOOD TOUR. LOOKING BACK AT THE ROSTER YOU WOULDNTA THUNK

Please don’t mention Chad Kroeger’s name ever again…ever.

I’m interested to hear the interview.

• gblockx said:

Did these band make it to Finland? I wanted to see them always but dates werent made! -mikhail

Stereomud sucked hard. I listened to the entire audio and have to say that I like Eric. Great audio guys!

• hatuespatue said:

Whatever agent didn’t allow his old band tour with Stonesour or Godsmack should be executed. I hate both those bands but from a business perspective.

Good attitude on this cat.

• froggerx19 said:

I got the email this audio file was posted. I reluctantly listened after AKF decided to give cred to Eyes Set To Kill. A brilliant listen.

Thank you for bringing this band to my attention. I was driving today and listened to Nirvana, Lincoln Park & STP 500 times.

• Vinny said:

I’ll give credit where credit is due.

This was a good interview. I agree with the others above.

Rogers isn’t reinventing the wheel and he knows that. He sings with a shitload of passion and has always produced great heavy rock.

• qwerty80 said:

He does look like CM Punk! He had facial hair back in the day.

Memento! I think that idiot taped shit to his face during live shows.

• sEXncANDY said:

Interesting interview. He has toured with some of the worst bands of all times. I’m so sorry!

I heard rumors Josey was closing in on 400 pounds back then. He had to hold the mic stand to stay vertical! ahahahahahahahahah

Loved it. BURN FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

• ej said:

I think Stereomud carved out a sound that distinguished them from other bands. Maybe the sound wasn’t groundbreaking but it felt fresh to me, and still does.

• Rex-Plex said:

I was a huge fan of Stereomud and i have to agree with Ej the shit did sound fresh and DNM is sounding a lot better to me the more i listen can’t wait to hear more

• OhCrap said:

Stereomud was good and could have been huge but i feel DNM has a more to offer with a fresher sound, great job guys

Chip.

• atestaplateates said:

greetz, good listens, keep ups goods from norway

• AKROnym said:

I’m shocked Andrew! Memento was all over the place in 03/04. You couldn’t open a mag anywhere in the world w/o reading about them. The singer reminded me of Carl Bell from Fuel.

• hatuespatue said:

Did Stereomud ever get to England?

• a34 said:

Nah, don’t believe they did. I didn’t know they did a 2nd album and I was a fan after Perfect Self.

I don’t believe they toured out side of the Americas.

• slayers said:

I liked very much. AKF pwns all others. I must now goes to listen back to Stereomudd!

• Bruce said:

I don’t give a shit what any one say’s the vocals remind me of Stereomud but the music is another story they have their own sound and i really fucking like it A_LOT this pisses all over Stereomud

DNM ROCKS YOUR WHITE SOX OFF

• Blah said:

It’s sad when great bands dismember after only 1 or 2 albums. There are a bunch of them that do it, though.

I have to agree with you on the “Every Given Moment,” being the better of the two, but I like “Show Me” more.
    He has an incredible voice if I do say so myself.

• SongBird said:

Awesome fucking band i just got my hands there new EP and T shirt

• SongBird said:

I saw them live and they sound just like the CD

BRUN